These amaretto cocktails make the best of this sweet Italian liqueur! Try everything from the classic amaretto sour to the unique Italian margarita.
Got a bottle of amaretto to use up? We’ve got answers. This nutty sweet Italian liqueur has been around since the 1850’s, and it’s still got massive popularity today. While it’s best known for the classic amaretto sour, there are lots more tasty ways to drink it.
Here are all the best amaretto drinks! There’s the classic sour, beautiful in its perfection. There’s the unique Italian margarita, a fusion style version of the Mexican tequila drink. And then of course the French Connection that takes literally 1 minute to make. Ready to get drinking?
And now…all best amaretto cocktails!
Here’s the perfect amaretto sour recipe that will impress everyone! It’s got just the right balance of amaretto with bourbon and lemon.
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) amaretto
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) bourbon whiskey
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup or maple syrup
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- For the garnish: Cocktail cherry or Luxardo cherry, lemon slice
- Add the amaretto, bourbon, lemon juice, syrup, egg white, and bitters to a cocktail shaker without ice. Shake for 15 seconds.
- Add the ice to the cocktail shaker. Shake again for 30 seconds.
- Strain the drink into a glass; the foam will collect at the top. Garnish with a cocktail cherry.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Amaretto Drinks, Amaretto Sour
More types of cocktails
There are so many more great cocktail recipes to try! Here are some of our best collections:
- Sour Cocktails All the very best sours: Whiskey Sour, Sidecar, Mojito and more.
- Lemon Cocktails Tangy and citrusy drinks like the Lemon Drop Martini.
- Wine Cocktails Wine is great for making cocktails, too.
- Vodka Cocktails Try the greats like the Gimlet and Mule.
- Highball Cocktails Easy to drink and even easier to make!
- Cointreau Cocktails All the great drinks using this orange liqueur.
- Champagne Cocktails These cocktails are light and bubbly! Perfect for celebration.
- Gin Cocktails All the classics: Gin Fizz, Tom Collins, Gin & Tonic, etc.
- Bourbon Cocktails Try these bourbon greats, like the Old Fashioned and Manhattan.
- Campari Cocktails Brilliant red cocktails starring this bitter liqueur.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.