These vibrant Instant Pot tacos with lentils and rice are a delicious vegetarian dinner recipe that even carnivores enjoy!
If you’ve read posts for our other Instant Pot recipes, you’ll know this: Alex and I used to be major Instant Pot skeptics. Maybe even Instant Pot haters. When people would talk about the Instant Pot, we’d roll our eyes. Do we really need to add another appliance to our kitchen? It can’t be that great, can it? It’s not like you can make dinner in 5 minutes and no effort in it. Right? Well, we caved. We bought an Instant Pot. And we made these Instant Pot tacos. Don’t have an Instant Pot? No problem. Make the filling from our stovetop Lentil Tacos! Keep reading for both recipes.
Why use an Instant Pot?
Spoiler alert: nope, the Instant Pot won’t cook you dinner in 5 minutes! BUT, Alex and I do really enjoy the Instant Pot for what it is. It won’t make you dinner in 5 minutes and clean up after you. What it will do is cook things slightly faster than on the stovetop and minimize mess. It’s also totally hands off, so you can set it and forget it.
Remember those Instant Pot smoky lentils and rice we made? Well, we thought it would be a perfect filling for Instant Pot tacos! The filling cooks in just 16 minutes and are fully ready in 40 minutes. While you’re waiting, make up these tacos fixings and you have a completely delicious Instant pot dinner recipe that will feed you for the week! These are also very kid friendly; our son Larson absolutely adores the smoky lentils and rice. And, we made you a video showing me making them in our kitchen (below)!
Related: Healthy Dinner Recipes
Watch how to make Instant Pot tacos
How to make Instant Pot tacos
Our Instant Pot tacos use our “famous” Instant Pot lentils and rice recipe. When we posted an in-progress version of this recipe on Instagram, our inbox was flooded with requests to test it. Here’s what one tester had to say: “I made this recipe over the weekend and it was so good! My toddler Emma loved it straight out of the Instant Pot. Carnivore husband loved it too!” The Instant Pot lentils and rice makes a huge batch, so you can eat off of it for quite a while. If you make the filling in advance, this Instant Pot tacos recipe can be made in about 15 minutes! If not, allow about 40 minutes.
Related: 15 Best Lentil Recipes
Here, the lentils and rice is basically used as an Instant Pot taco meat equivalent. Then, load up the tacos with colorful veggies! This recipe is easily customizable, so you can use whatever vegetable or sauce toppings you prefer. Just make sure to use a creamy or wet sauce like salsa, otherwise the filling will be a bit dry. For the sauces on these Instant Pot tacos, here are a few other ideas:
- Lemon tahini sauce (vegan)
- Cilantro drizzle (vegan)
- Chipotle cashew cream (vegan)
- Avocado cream
- Spicy Tahini Chipotle Sauce (vegan)
- Classic cashew cream (vegan)
- Sour cream or Mexican Crema
- Vegan Nacho Cheese
- Best Salsa Recipe
We hope you enjoy this recipe. Let us know in the comments below or over on Instagram.
Looking for Instant Pot recipes?
Outside of these Instant Pot tacos, here are a few more of our favorite Instant Pot recipes:
- Basics: Sweet Potatoes | Refried Beans | Lentils | Chickpeas | Lentils and Rice | Quinoa | Hard Boiled Eggs | How to Cook Rice: White Rice & Brown Rice
- Thai Style Sweet Potatoes
- Chickpea Couscous Bowls
- The Best Loaded Vegan Nachos
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- Apple Cinnamon Pressure Cooker Steel Cut Oats
- Granola Instant Pot Apple Crisp
- Instant Pot Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pecans
- All our vegan and vegetarian Instant Pot recipes!
This Instant Pot tacos recipe is…
This Instant Pot tacos recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan (without feta), plant based (without feta), dairy free, naturally sweet, and refined sugar free.Print
These vibrant Instant Pot tacos with smoky lentils and rice are a delicious vegetarian dinner recipe that even carnivores enjoy!
- 4 cups Instant Pot Smoky Lentils and Rice recipe (that recipe makes 10 cups total)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, multi-colored if desired
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1/2 small red onion
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup salsa: any high quality brand or Salsa Fresca
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
- *Other ideas for sauces: Cilantro drizzle (vegan), Chipotle cashew cream (vegan), Avocado cream, or sour cream
- Make the Instant Pot Smoky Lentils and Rice recipe (takes about 40 minutes).
- Meanwhile, chop the cherry tomatoes and lettuce. Thinly slice the red onion.
- Warm the tortillas*, or char them by placing a tortilla on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until slightly blackened and warm.
- To assemble each taco, load the tortilla with smoky lentils, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa, feta crumbles, and torn cilantro leaves. Feel free to customize with any other toppings you like!
*See How to Warm Tortillas for more!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Instant Pot, Instant Pot Recipes, Pressure Cooker, Pressure Cooker Recipes, Lentils and Rice, How to Cook Lentils, Pressure Cooking, Tacos, Mexican, Vegan Mexican, Instant Pot Tacos, Pressure Cooker Tacos, Healthy, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.