Want vegan lentil recipes? Lentils are low in calories, high in protein, and budget friendly: making them perfect for plant based eating!
Lentils are perfect for eating plant based. Why? They’re full of plant-based protein, making them feature often as a stand-in for meat in vegetarian and vegan recipes. Lentils are so versatile: they can be made into traditional dishes like lentil soup or dal, or feature as a taco filling! Here are our top vegan lentil recipes for making the most of this protein-filled vegetable!
Before we start, let’s talk lentils nutrition. Lentils are not only tasty: they’re full of nutrition benefits and are inexpensive to buy! Here are a few of the major nutritional benefits of lentils:
- Protein & Fiber: Lentils have a large amount of plant-based protein. 1 cup of cooked lentils has about 18 grams of protein and 15 grams of fiber. (Source)
- Low in Fat & Calories: Lentils have virtually no saturated fat and are low in calories.
- Protect Against Heart Disease: Lentils are rich in polyphenols, micronutrients thought to help protect against cardiovascular disease. (Source)
Related: See Lentils vs Beans: A Breakdown!
Types of lentils
All lentils are not created equal! There are many varieties of lentils: the most popular varieties are brown, green, yellow, red, black, and French lentils. To learn more about the different varieties of lentils, see What are Lentils?
And now…our top vegan lentil recipes!
More vegan lentil recipes…
Of course, we have more where those came from! Here are a few more vegan lentil recipes that we love, and some additional lentil resources:
- Quick Coconut Lentil Curry
- Seasoned Black Lentils Recipe
- Smoky Instant Pot Lentils and Rice
- Hearty Vegan Stew with Sprouted Lentils
- Rice & Lentil Salad
- How to Cook Lentils
- 15 Best Lentil Recipes
- Lentil to Water Ratio
More plant based resources
If you eat a mostly plant based diet, here are a few more resources, including meal plans:
- 28 Day Plant Based Diet Meal Plan
- 10 Filling Plant Based Recipes Perfect for Dinner
- What is a Plant Based Diet?
- How to Get Protein as a Vegetarian
- 28 Day Vegan Meal Plan
- How to Go Vegan: Guide & Recipes
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.