This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
This Instant Pot apple crisp made with organic granola is quick and delicious! It’s a cozy vegan dessert recipe that cooks in minutes in a pressure cooker.
This post was created in partnership with One Degree Organic Foods. All opinions are our own.
Growing up in Minnesota, my family had an apple tree in the backyard that had the best crisp tart apples. Every year we’d pick them to make them into our “famous” apple butter to give to neighbors and friends. And of course, apple crisp! This fall Alex and I decided to create a healthy spin on apple crisp, for nostalgia sake. And because we’re obsessed with our Instant Pot…why not try it in a pressure cooker? This Instant Pot apple crisp turned out incredible and cooks in just 2 minutes, featuring organic granola for the topping.
Instant Pot apple crisp ingredients
This Instant Pot apple crisp recipe is quick and easy, and lets the apple flavor to really shine. And here, the pressure cooker isn’t the only time saver. The topping is made with granola! Using granola brings in some seasoning and sweetness. Of course, you’ll want to use a top of the line granola: organic if possible!
What are the best apples for apple crisp? We recommend using any tart cooking apple for this Instant Pot apple crisp recipe. Granny Smith will do, as will Cameo, Baldwin, Cortland, and Jonagold apples. Here are all the ingredients you’ll need for this Instant Pot apple crisp:
- Organic granola
- Brown sugar
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Cinnamon and ginger
Now, this Instant Pot apple crisp is a little different: you’ll garnish the crisp after it’s cooked! This adds a beautiful freshness. When you scoop it into bowls, top with little lemon zest and additional cinnamon for a boost of fresh flavor. Topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, it’s one of our favorite apple recipes.
What is sprouted granola?
The organic granola we used here is One Degree Organic Sprouted Oat Vanilla Chia Granola. If you know us well, you’ll know that we typically make our own granola. But it’s a different story with One Degree Organics! They’re a family business that thinks there should be only one degree of separation between you and the person you grew your food, like a farmer’s market. Every single product they put out has thoughtfully sourced, organic ingredients.
What’s sprouted oat granola? Sprouted grains are grains that are soaked in water. This makes them nutrient-rich, easier for your body to absorb, and easier to digest. One Degree’s sprouted oat granola is made with organic soaked oats, vitamin-rich seeds and grains, and warm spices such as cinnamon, cacao, and vanilla.
Every ingredient in One Degree’s granola can be traced by scanning the QR code on the package or entering the product code on onedegreeorganics.com. For this granola, type in “9HNCH6” and you can see all the farmers of the ingredients!
Tips for making Instant Pot apple crisp
This Instant Pot apple crisp is quick and simple! The basic steps are that you’ll combine the filling ingredients in the bowl, then top with granola mixed with brown sugar and coconut oil. Then you’ll Pressure Cook on high for 2 minutes and do a quick release. Then you’ll remove the lid and let the crisp sit for 5 minutes to thicken up. That’s it!
A few important notes about this Instant Pot apple crisp before you start:
- If you use your Instant Pot (pressure cooker) to cook savory items, the sealing ring on the inside of the lid can sometimes pick up flavor. You may want to check the plastic seal on the lid before you make a dessert. If it has an odor, soak it in vinegar for a few hours. We have purchased 2 Instant Pot sealing rings: we use use one for savory recipes and one for sweet recipes.
- Expect a chewy topping! Since this apple crisp is cooked in a pressure cooker, the granola comes out with a chewy texture.
- Make sure to garnish! A sprinkle of lemon zest mixed with cinnamon brightens up the darker flavors of the crisp. Then serve with vanilla ice cream, vegan cinnamon ice cream or coconut whipped cream. (Bourbon whipped cream would also be nice!)
What people are saying about this apple crisp
A few recipe testers helped us to tweak this Instant Pot apple crisp to perfection! Here’s what people are saying about this pressure cooker apple crisp:
- “This Instant Pot apple crisp is definitely going into regular rotation, so good! It felt like my first dessert of the fall season. The lemon zest topping was a really nice added brightness. I especially loved that it was so quick and easy!” -Erin
- “It was easy and quick and even though it was made in the Instant Pot rather than the oven it made my kitchen smell amazing. The apples came out perfectly tender. My 10 year old girls helped me put it together and asked for seconds!” -Lisa
Where to buy sprouted granola
This Instant Pot apple crisp recipe is…
Vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, and plant based.Print
This Instant Pot apple crisp made with organic granola is quick and delicious! It’s a cozy vegan dessert recipe that cooks in minutes in a pressure cooker. In this crisp, the oats come out intentionally chewy.
- 1 ½ cups One Degree Organic Sprouted Oat Vanilla Chia Granola
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup organic brown sugar
- 4 large or 6 small tart apples (like Granny Smith), enough for 5 cups sliced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus ⅛ teaspoon for serving
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup water
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, for serving
- (Before you start, read the note below.) In a small bowl, mix together the granola, room temperature coconut oil and 2 tablespoons brown sugar; you may need to use your hands to bring everything together. (Note: The granola we used was lightly sweet. If using a very sweet granola, you can lessen the sugar in the topping.)
- Peel and slice the apples into about 1/4″ slices, enough for 5 cups, and place them in the bowl of the Instant Pot. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar, then the maple, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and water. Smooth the apples into an even layer and pour the granola mixture over the top, covering the apples.
- Lock the top of the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 2 minutes. (Note: It takes about 5 minutes for the pot to “preheat” before it starts cooking. During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.) After the pot beeps, immediately do a Quick Release: vent the remaining steam by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. (Never put your hands or face near the steam release valve when releasing steam.)
- While the crisp is cooking, prepare the garnish: Zest 1 lemon. Mix it together with ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
- After the Quick Release, remove the lid. Turn off the pot and let the crisp sit uncovered for 5 minutes (make sure Keep Warm feature is turned off). This lets the sauce thicken; the oats will be intentionally chewy, not crunchy. Zest the lemon. Scoop the crisp into bowls and add a pinch of the lemon zest garnish. If desired, serve with vegan vanilla ice cream or Coconut Whipped Cream.
Important note: If you use your Instant Pot / pressure cooker to cook strong savory items, the sealing ring on the inside of the lid can sometimes pick up flavor. You may want to check the plastic seal on the lid and smell it before you make a dessert. If it has an odor, soak it in vinegar for a few hours. Typically this shouldn’t be a problem, but we actually ran across it in our first test of this recipe. We have since purchased 2 Instant Pot sealing rings and use one for savory recipes and one for sweet recipes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple Crisp, Apple Dessert, Instant Pot Apple Crisp, Apple Crisp with Granola, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes?
This Instant Pot apple crisp with granola is our first Instant Pot dessert recipe! We’re working on some more Instant Pot dessert recipes, but in the meantime here are a few healthy Instant Pot recipes:
- Basics: Sweet Potatoes | Refried Beans | Lentils | Chickpeas | Lentils and Rice | Quinoa | Hard Boiled Eggs | How to Cook Rice: White Rice & Brown Rice
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Creamy Instant Pot Pasta
- Vegan Instant Pot Recipes
- Thai Style Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- Chickpea Couscous Bowls
- Instant Pot Tacos
- The Best Loaded Vegan Nachos
- Apple Cinnamon Pressure Cooker Steel Cut Oats
- Granola Instant Pot Apple Crisp
- Instant Pot Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pecans
Looking for more vegan dessert recipes?
Outside of this Instant Pot apple crisp with granola, here are some of our favorite vegan dessert recipes:
- Bliss Bites (Healthy No-Bake Cookies)
- Chewy Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
- Pecan Butter Millionaire Bars
- Decadent Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse
- Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Maple Vegan Blondies
- Chocolate Tahini Vegan No Bake Cookies
- Chocolate Cherry Dessert Bites
- Blackberry Vegan Cheesecake Bites
- Fudgy Vegan Brownie Recipe
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (use vegan variation)
- Bananas Foster with a Perfect Flambé
- 10 Vegan Desserts Everyone Will Love