This Instant Pot apple crisp made with organic granola is quick and delicious! It’s a cozy vegan dessert recipe that cooks in minutes in a pressure cooker. In this crisp, the oats come out intentionally chewy.
- 1 1/2 cups One Degree Organic Sprouted Oat Vanilla Chia Granola
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 4 large or 6 small tart apples (like Granny Smith), enough for 5 cups sliced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus 1/8 teaspoon for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup water
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, for serving
- (Before you start, read the note below.) In a small bowl, mix together the granola, room temperature coconut oil and 2 tablespoons brown sugar; you may need to use your hands to bring everything together. (Note: The granola we used was lightly sweet. If using a very sweet granola, you can lessen the sugar in the topping.)
- Peel and slice the apples into about 1/4″ slices, enough for 5 cups, and place them in the bowl of the Instant Pot. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar, then the maple, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and water. Smooth the apples into an even layer and pour the granola mixture over the top, covering the apples.
- Lock the top of the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 2 minutes. (Note: It takes about 5 minutes for the pot to “preheat” before it starts cooking. During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.) After the pot beeps, immediately do a Quick Release: vent the remaining steam by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. (Never put your hands or face near the steam release valve when releasing steam.)
- While the crisp is cooking, prepare the garnish: Zest 1 lemon. Mix it together with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- After the Quick Release, remove the lid. Turn off the pot and let the crisp sit uncovered for 5 minutes (make sure Keep Warm feature is turned off). This lets the sauce thicken; the oats will be intentionally chewy, not crunchy. Zest the lemon. Scoop the crisp into bowls and add a pinch of the lemon zest garnish. If desired, serve with vegan vanilla ice cream or Coconut Whipped Cream.
Important note: If you use your Instant Pot / pressure cooker to cook strong savory items, the sealing ring on the inside of the lid can sometimes pick up flavor. You may want to check the plastic seal on the lid and smell it before you make a dessert. If it has an odor, soak it in vinegar for a few hours. Typically this shouldn’t be a problem, but we actually ran across it in our first test of this recipe. We have since purchased 2 Instant Pot sealing rings and use one for savory recipes and one for sweet recipes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple Crisp, Apple Dessert, Instant Pot Apple Crisp, Apple Crisp with Granola, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free