This homemade cinnamon ice cream is a cozy, healthy dessert recipe that’s full of comforting spices (it’s also dairy free and vegan).
This dessert recipe was one of those where I exclaimed “THIS IS SO GOOD” immediately after the first bite! Of course Alex, a bit less emotive than I am, simply nodded approval and kept eating: which was just as impressive. This homemade cinnamon ice cream with apple cider reduction blew us away as a cozy, simple dessert recipe that’s also naturally vegan. Keep reading for the cinnamon ice cream recipe and a bit more about apple cider reduction!
How to make apple cider reduction
Apple cider reduction is a tremendous and original way to use apple cider. Alex originally devised this idea as a fall take on our Peppermint Ice Cream and Hot Cocoa Affogato, where hot cocoa is poured over peppermint ice cream similar to a root beer float. We tried a hot cider float, which as you could guess ended up being a white, watery mess (and yes, we served to guests…thankfully the taste made up for it!). With the remaining cider, we decided to reduce it down just a bit, and ended up with a caramely, sticky sauce that could only be described as “apple cider essence”. This is some good stuff.
To make apple cider reduction, all you do is simply simmer apple cider for about 30 to 35 minutes until it reduces down into a thick and sticky sauce. Watch carefully in the last 10 minutes to make sure that it does not scorch or burn. Remove it to a separate container and allow it too cool, which should thicken it up considerably. Then use it for drizzling your ice cream!
How to make homemade cinnamon ice cream
Alex and my method for ice cream is a bit unconventional: it’s actually vegan ice cream! While we don’t eat 100% vegan ourselves, we like making vegan ice cream because it’s a little quicker than conventional ice cream to make and it can be served to people of all diets. Also, sometimes standard ice cream can be hard on my stomach, whereas vegan ice cream goes down easier! Either way, making cinnamon ice cream the vegan way is very simple: just mix refrigerated coconut milk with maple syrup, a vanilla bean and cinnamon, and place it into an ice cream maker. The resulting ice cream comes out creamy and spiced, perfect for drizzling with apple cider reduction!
Looking for vegan dessert recipes?
Outside of this cinnamon ice cream with apple cider reduction, here are a few of our favorite vegan dessert recipes on A Couple Cooks:
- Pecan Butter Millionaire Bars
- Chewy Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
- Granola Instant Pot Apple Crisp
- Chocolate Tahini Vegan No Bake Cookies
- Chocolate Sweet Cherry Vegan Tarts
- Balsamic Blackberry Vegan Cheesecakes
- Fudgy Vegan Brownie Recipe
- Bliss Bites
- Easy Bananas Foster (vegan version)
This recipe is…
This homemade cinnamon ice cream with apple cider reduction recipe is vegetarian, gluten free, vegan, plant based, dairy free and naturally sweet.Print
This homemade cinnamon ice cream with apple cider reduction is a cozy, healthy dessert recipe that’s full of comforting spices. It’s also naturally vegan!
For the homemade cinnamon ice cream
- 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated
- 14-ounce can light coconut milk, refrigerated
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
For the apple cider reduction & to serve
- 3 cups apple cider
- Pecan pieces, if desired
- Make the homemade cinnamon ice cream: In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk and maple syrup.
- With a sharp knife, cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds with a knife, then add them to the bowl with the coconut milk and maple. Add the cinnamon and kosher salt and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker (make sure the mixture is cold before freezing). Eat the ice cream right away for a soft serve texture, or freeze it for about 2 hours for a harder texture.
- Meanwhile, make the apple cider reduction: In a saucepan, heat the apple cider over medium-high heat. Bring to a low boil and boil for 30 to 35 minutes until starts to thickens and becomes caramel in color, but before burning or solidifying. Watch carefully in the last 10 minutes to ensure the proper timing. Pour into a separate container and allow to cool (it will thicken as it cools). Re-heat prior to serving if necessary.
- To serve, top the cinnamon ice cream with apple cider reduction and if desired, top with pecan pieces.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cinnamon Ice Cream, Homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream, Apple Cider Reduction, Dessert, Vegan, Gluten Free,