Once a hated vegetable, broccoli has made a comeback! Here are the best tasty broccoli recipes to eat more of this healthy veggie.
Are you a broccoli fan? This healthy veggie hasn’t always been the most popular. But today, just like Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, it’s made a major comeback into fresh and healthy meals! Alex and I never hated this vegetable growing up, but we most certainly weren’t eating it in ways that lived up to its delicious potential.
Here we’ve collected our best broccoli recipes that are the top ways to eat this super nutritious cruciferous vegetable! From our 10-minute side dish to a cheesy broccoli casserole, there’s something for everyone in this list. What are your favorite ways to eat brocolli? Let us know in the comments below.
And now, our best broccoli recipes!
The best broccoli recipe? This healthy side dish turns out bright green and crisp tender every time: serve with feta for extra wow.
- 1 1/2 pounds (2 large heads) broccoli
- 1/4 cup red onions, thinly sliced (or substitute green onion)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the broccoli into florets.
- If using, thinly slice the onion. Place it in a bowl of water while you’re making the rest of the recipe, then drain. (This helps to reduce onion breath and remove some of the spicy bite. If you use green onion, skip this step!)
- Place 1 1/2 cups water into a saucepan or pot and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the broccoli in the steamer basket. Steam with the lid on 3 to 4 minutes until just tender (test with a fork). We like our broccoli on the crisp side: if you’d like it more tender, cook 1 minute more. Just be careful not to cook much longer or the color will immediately fade and it will be overcooked!
- Carefully remove the broccoli to a bowl. Toss with the olive oil, kosher salt, feta cheese (optional), and drained red onions. Top with freshly ground black pepper.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: Broccoli Recipes, Broccoli Side Dish
More delicious vegetable recipes
Broccoli is one of the 20 best vegetables you can eat! And there are so many tasty vegetable recipes for getting more vegetables on your plate. Here are our top favorites:
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Lemony Steamed Green Beans
- Best Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Crispy Breaded Cauliflower
- Best Vegetable Side Dishes
- 25+ Favorite Side Dish Recipes
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.