Here’s how to make grilled vegetables! Fire up the grill for the best summer side dish that goes with any meal.
It’s grilling season! The grill brings a crisp char and irresistible smoky flavor to everything it touches. And don’t relegate it just to burgers or ribs. Make your side dish at the same time with these best grilled vegetables! This mix of veggies is delicious, colorful, and the best part: they all cook at approximately the same rate. Throw them together with a quick mix of balsamic, olive oil and a hint of rosemary, and you won’t be able to stop eating them.
Ingredients for grilled vegetables
You can grill just about any vegetable. At the same time, you can’t just throw them all and hoping for the best! Some vegetables are tougher than others, like carrots and potatoes. This type of vegetable needs to be parboiled before grilling. In this mix of best grilled vegetables, we’ve picked veggies that all cook with a similar timing. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Green beans
- Red and orange bell peppers
- Yellow squash
- Red onion
Do vegetables work with this timing? Yes! You can try small florets of broccoli, asparagus spears, or small cubes of eggplant in this mixture.
How to grill vegetables
All you really need to know about grilled vegetables, aside from which to pair together, is the grill temperature and timing. Memorize those few things, and then make this recipe on repeat all summer! For this recipe, you don’t even need a grill basket. You can throw these veggies right onto the grates! Here are the basic steps for how to grill vegetables (or jump to the recipe below):
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat (that’s 375 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Chop the vegetables into bite sized pieces. You can leave the green beans whole.
- Mix with olive oil and kosher salt. See the quantities in the recipe below.
- Grill 14 to 17 minutes with the vegetables directly on the grates, turning every few minutes as grill marks appear.
Optional: add a quick and easy sauce!
You can eat these grilled vegetables right off the grill and they taste incredible. Even better? Mix them with a quick mix of olive oil and balsamic vinegar to heighten the flavors. All you need is 1 tablespoon of each, and it adds just the right shine and hint of brightness to the veggies. We like to add 1 clove grated garlic and ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary to really bring out the flavors.
Or, serve with a dipping sauce!
You can also serve grilled vegetables with a dipping sauce! Creamy sauces like aiolis, honey mustard or even Green Goddess dressing make irresistible dips. Here are a few ideas:
- Try Pesto Aioli or Chipotle Aioli
- Go for Green Goddess Dressing
- Opt for White BBQ Sauce or Horseradish Sauce
- Mix up Honey Mustard Recipe
- Try Easy Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
More grilled vegetables recipes
Didn’t find what you’re looking for? Here’s a list of master recipes of how to grill any vegetable you want to cook: on its own! Infuse sweet smokiness into bell peppers. Try sizzling, meaty portobello mushrooms. Grill up some tender asparagus to go with your salmon. Even try grilled avocado or BBQ cauliflower for a unique twist! These truly are the best grilled vegetables to make at home…ready to make an appearance as an easy side dish at your next grilled meal.
Grilled main dishes & desserts to pair
Want to accessorize with these grilled vegetables? Here are some of our top grilled dinner ideas to pair…plus some tasty grilled desserts!
- Grilled Portobello Burger Juicy, meaty, and covered in special sauce.
- Perfect Grilled Salmon Perfectly tender, sprinkled with magical seafood seasoning.
- Grilled Shrimp, Grilled Cajun Shrimp or Blackened Shrimp Full of big flavor!
- Grilled Scallops Unique and so tasty on the grill.
- Grilled Tofu Unexpectedly delicious: make a tofu fan out of anyone.
- Grilled Pineapple Top with ice cream for special smoky sundaes.
- Grilled Apples or Grilled Bananas a La Mode Need we say more?
- Try 40 Top Grill Recipes or 15 Grilled Side Dishes!
Here’s how to make the best grilled vegetables! It’s the perfect easy side dish for grilled dinners.
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced in half
- 8 ounces green beans
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 small zucchini or yellow squash, cut into bite sized triangles
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (375 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Cut the vegetables. Toss them with 2 tablespoon olive oils and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Add the vegetables directly to the grates and cook for 14 to 17 minutes, turning every few minutes as grill marks appear. When vegetables are tender, remove them to a bowl (if any pieces start to char early, remove to a bowl while remaining cook).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt with the balsamic vinegar, grated garlic and fresh rosemary. Once all the vegetables are cooked, pour the sauce onto the vegetables and toss. Serve immediately.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Vegetables
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Grilled vegetables, Best grilled vegetables, How to grill vegetables
More summer recipes!
Summer is all about the grill! To go with these grilled vegetables, we’ve got lots more recipes, from grilled dinners to summer drinks:
- Easy Grilled Dinner Ideas Main dish ideas for your next cook out!
- 20 Vegetarian Grill Recipes All the best ways to eat veggies…grilled!
- Summer Dinner Recipes to Eat Al Fresco All the recipes to eat on the patio.
- Summer Side Dishes You Need More summer side dish ideas, from grilled corn to salads.
- Summer Salads You Need Now All the best salads that capitalize on summer produce!
- Best Summer Cocktails Want a drink with that? Here are our best pairings.