Here’s how to make the best grilled asparagus! It’s so easy and comes out tender and charred, with a hint of smoke. Spritz with lemon and enjoy!
Usually we make roasted asparagus or broiled asparagus around here, but there’s a new favorite in town. Grilled asparagus! Turns out grilling asparagus might be the very best way to cook it. It’s easy and requires only a few ingredients. And it comes out incredible: tender and charred, with a hint of smoke. Spritz it with lemon juice for a little brightness, and it’s a fresh and healthy side dish you won’t be able to stop eating! Alex and I have now added asparagus to our regular rotation for grilled dinner ideas. Here’s how to make it!
Ingredients for grilled asparagus
Two pluses to grilled asparagus: you only need a few ingredients and it’s extraordinarily quick to grill! Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 bunch asparagus, the thinner spears the better
- ½ lemon
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
If you’d like you can sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese as a garnish, but it’s not necessary flavor-wise. It’s perfect with just a spritz of lemon! If you have some shredded Parmesan around though: it’s tasty with a sprinkle.
How to grill asparagus (basic steps)
You don’t need anything special for grilled asparagus like a grill basket: just place it right on the oven grates! The only thing to keep in mind is that thinner spears of asparagus cook faster. You may even want to cut off more of the tough thick ends that you usually would, because they’ll take longer to cook than the thin tops. Here’s what to do (or jump to the recipe):
- Toss the asparagus with olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
- Place right on the oven grates. Grill about 3 to 4 minutes until charred and tender.
- Spritz with fresh lemon juice from the wedges.
Ways to serve grilled asparagus
With grilled asparagus being so easy to prepare, it makes a great pairing with all sorts of grilled meals! Once you’ve got the grill fired up for the main dish, it’s easy to toss on some spears. Easy summer entertaining: nailed! Here’s what we’d recommend serving with it:
- Grilled fish. Salmon and asparagus always make an elegant pair! Try our Easy Cedar Plank Salmon or Perfect Grilled Salmon.
- Grilled shrimp. This Perfect Grilled Shrimp would make a fantastic pair with asparagus.
- Grilled tofu. This Grilled Tofu is full of big flavor.
- Grilled eggplant Parmesan. Ever tried Grilled Eggplant Parmesan? It’s a lovely grilled take on the Italian classic.
Is asparagus healthy?
Asparagus is one of the healthiest vegetables you can eat! It’s full of nutrients, and grilling it is a healthy way to prepare it. Here’s the breakdown:
- Full of fiber: 1 cup of cooked asparagus has 4 grams of fiber. (Source)
- Relatively high in protein: 1 cup also has 4 grams protein. (Source) That’s a similar level to broccoli and potatoes.
- Health benefits: It can aid in eye and hair health, and has potential anti-aging properties. (Source)
This grilled asparagus recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free.Print
Here’s how to make the best grilled asparagus! It’s so easy and comes out tender and charred, with a hint of smoke. Spritz with lemon and enjoy.
- 1 pound asparagus (thin stalks preferable)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (375 to 450 degrees).
- Cut off the tough ends of the asparagus.
- In a bowl, mix the asparagus with the olive oil, kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.
- Place the asparagus directly on the grill grates and grill for about 3 to 4 minutes until charred and tender, turning once.
- Remove from the grill and spritz with lemon juice from wedges from ½ of the lemon. If desired, top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Vegetables
Keywords: Grilled asparagus, How to grill asparagus
More grilled vegetables
Grilled vegetables are our go-to easy side dishes in the summer! Here are some of our other favorites:
- Onions, Peppers, Peppers & Onion, Zucchini and Squash Perfect for summer.
- Perfect Corn, Corn in Foil, or Elote The best ways to cook this seasonal treat.
- Grilled Potatoes, Potatoes in Foil, Sweet Potatoes, or Carrots Classic!
- Portobellos or Mushroom Skewers Full of meaty, smoky flavor.
- Cauliflower or Broccoli Charred florets of goodness.
- Avocado, Green Beans, Bok Choy, or Brussels Sprouts Unique, tasty and easy.
- Romaine, Kale, or Cabbage These leafy greens are fantastic grilled.