Want to fire up the grill? These grilled dinner ideas are perfect for entertaining or a laid back evening in, from shrimp tacos to grilled cheese.
Wanna fire up the grill? Yes, grilling season is all about infusing that smoky, charred flavor into everything you touch. And the grill’s not just for burgers and hot dogs! There are so many grilled dinner ideas beyond the bun. Alex and I are huge grill fans: in fact, if it’s food, we’ve probably tried to grill it! We love unique things like BBQ Cauliflower and Grilled Romaine Salad, just as much as more traditional things like Cedar Plank Salmon.
Here we’ve collected our top favorite grilled dinner ideas! From our very best grilled veggie burger that stays together on the grill (we promise!) to our always popular grilled shrimp tacos, we think you’ll love every single one of them. Ready to get started?
Our top 12 grilled dinner ideas!
Grilled side dishes
Want to grill up some sides too? Here are a few to add to these dinner ideas!
- Grilled Caesar Salad
- Elote (Mexican Street Corn)
- BBQ Grilled Cauliflower
- Grilled Avocado
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- How to Make Awesome Grilled Vegetables
- Caprese Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
- Grilled Teriyaki Mango Skewers
More grilled dinner ideas
And, just in case you still need more inspiration: a few more dinner ideas where those came from!
- Garlic Grilled Shrimp
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Cauliflower Steak with Corn Salsa
- Grilled Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini
- Grilled Eggplant with Herbed Quinoa
- Greek Grilled Portobello Burger
- Grilled Paella Recipe
These grilled shrimp tacos are a perfect grilled dinner idea for entertaining or healthy weeknight meal, featuring spiced shrimp, Mexican slaw and a spicy mayo drizzle.
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (we used 26–30 per pound size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups Mexican Coleslaw (1/4 recipe; or 2 cups shredded red cabbage)
- 8 tortillas
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican hot sauce (such as Cholula)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, for serving
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat.
- Defrost the shrimp and peel it, as necessary. In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the olive oil, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and kosher salt.
- Make the Mexican Coleslaw (or shred the cabbage and sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt).
- Mix together the mayonnaise and Mexican hot sauce.
- Warm tortillas on grill for 10 seconds per side. Then grill the shrimp for 1 to 2 minutes per side, until bright pink and cooked through.
- To serve, place the coleslaw into a tortilla and top with grilled shrimp. Drizzle with the spicy mayo and top with torn cilantro leaves and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Grilled Dinner Ideas
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.