Baileys Irish Cream is a mix of Irish whiskey and cream that’s become the most popular liqueur in the world! Here’s more and the best ways to use it.
It’s sweet, it’s creamy, and it goes down easy: it’s Baileys Irish Cream! This tasty liqueur might be frowned upon by craft bartenders, but happens to be the top selling liqueur in the world. Swirl it into coffee, use it in a Mudslide, or just drink it straight up: this Irish liqueur is here to please. Here’s a little more about this crowd-pleasing liqueur!
What is Baileys Irish Cream?
Baileys Irish Cream is a liqueur made with Irish whiskey, cream, and cocoa that’s manufactured in Ireland. It was invented in 1973 and went on to become the top selling liqueur worldwide. The name Baileys has nothing to do with the founders of this liqueur: it was inspired by a restaurant called Baileys Bistro that was near their offices (read more here).
There are several other types of Baileys Irish Cream outside of the original: Baileys Almande is a vegan Baileys made with almond milk. There are also flavor variations: Salted Caramel, Strawberries and Cream, Espresso Creme, Red Velvet, Apple Pie, etc.
What does Baileys taste like?
Baileys Irish Cream tastes sweet and milky, with notes of vanilla and chocolate, the fruitiness of Irish whiskey on the finish.
How much alcohol is in Baileys? It is 17% ABV (alcohol by volume), so it is relatively low in alcohol. Compare it to 40% ABV for spirits like whiskey, rum, vodka and gin.
Are there any substitutes? There also craft brands of Irish cream available. Five Farms is a brand we tried and like: it tastes a little richer but with similar flavors.
Why we like it
Baileys might be considered too sweet and simple by bartenders or cocktail connoisseurs, but it makes a good after dinner drink. Try it in a Mudslide or Chocolate Martini! It also perfect as an Irish coffee variation in Baileys Coffee, or use it as a spiked coffee creamer.
How much does it cost?
Compared to other liquors, Baileys is mid-priced. It costs $20 to $25 per 750 ml bottle.
How to store Baileys? Store an opened bottle in the pantry or refrigerator for up to 2 years after its manufacture date. Make sure it stays between 32 and 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
Most popular Baileys Irish Cream cocktails
Irish Cream can be sipped straight, swirled in coffee, or mixed into cocktails. It features in several great cocktails, most of them after dinner drinks. Here are the Top Baileys Cocktails:
The classic Mudslide isn't a boozy milkshake! It's shaken with Kahlua and Irish cream and served up in a cocktail glass.
Ingredients: Irish cream, vodka, Kahlua
The pairing of coffee liqueur, sweet Irish cream, and orange liqueur is close to perfection. Drink this 1970's special as a shot or a slow sipping after dinner drink in a cocktail glass.
Ingredients: Irish cream, Kahlua, Grand Marnier
This spin on the Irish coffee with Baileys is a must try! Adding a splash of this whiskey-flavored creamy liqueur is absolutely what a cup of hot coffee needs.
Ingredients: Coffee, Irish cream, homemade whipped cream
This Irish cream liqueur is also included in the following drinks:
- Baileys Martini Pair it with coffee, Kahlua and vodka for a classy martini
- Baileys White Russian Swap it out for cream in the classic White Russian.
- Chocolate Martini Shake it with Kahlua and cocoa for a rich, chocolaty martini.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
Perk up with this creamy Baileys Martini! It’s the ideal after dinner drink: coffee, Kahlua and Baileys Irish Cream with a crunchy coffee bean rim.
- 2 ounces* coffee, slightly cooled (use decaf if desired)
- 1 ounces vodka
- ½ ounce Kahlua (or other coffee liqueur like Tia Maria or Sheridan’s)
- ½ ounce Irish cream (Bailey’s or other)
- For the rim: equal parts finely ground coffee beans and granulated sugar, for the garnish
- Make the coffee, using your favorite method (pour over, Aeropress or other).
- Wet the rim of the cocktail glass. Place the finely ground coffee beans and sugar on a plate, and tilt the outside rim of the glass into the mixture so that it coats the outer rim.
- Place the coffee, vodka, Kahlua, and Irish cream in a cocktail shaker. Add 2 handfuls ice and shake until cold. Strain into the prepared cocktail glass.
*For converting to tablespoons: 2 ounces = 4 tablespoons or ¼ cup.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Baileys, Baileys Irish Cream
More cocktail guides
Here are a few more guides to liqueurs, spirits and mixology:
- Kahlua Quick Guide Learn about this popular Mexican coffee liqueur
- Aperol Quick Guide and Campari Quick Guide All you need to know about these Italian liqueurs.
- Cointreau Quick Guide This popular orange liqueur is the best out there.
- Orange Liqueur Quick Guide All you need to know about this somewhat confusing style of liquor.
- Grenadine Quick Guide It’s mistaken as cherry, but this bright syrup has a secret.
- Galliano Quick Guide Is this bright yellow liqueur worth buying?
- Chartreuse Quick Guide This pale green liqueur is worth adding to your collection…here’s why.
- Absinthe Quick Guide This formerly banned liquor is now in good graces.