Here’s how to make a mudslide! This mudslide recipe makes that classic drink starring vodka, Kahlua and Irish cream.
The word “Mudslide” might make you think milkshake-style boozy cocktails at chain restaurants. But have you ever had a classic Mudslide? It couldn’t be more sophisticated…and delicious! You can make this Mudslide recipe both ways: first as drink was first intended: shaken with coffee liqueur and Irish cream and served up in a cocktail glass. It’s more than a glorified milkshake: it’s classy and full of intrigue! Of course, you can make it frozen too: blend it up with vanilla ice cream. Here’s how to make a Mudslide…both ways!
What’s a Mudslide?
The Mudslide cocktail is a dessert cocktail made with Kahlua and Irish cream that’s a variation on the White Russian. It was invented in the mid-1970’s on Grand Cayman Island at a bar called Wreck Bar. The story goes that a customer ordered a White Russian, but the bar didn’t have heavy cream. They did happen to be stocked with Irish cream, so they used that instead and the Mudslide was born! This drink later evolved to be blended with ice cream and became popular at chain restaurants, where it’s more like a boozy milkshake. This style of the cocktail is referred to as a “frozen Mudslide.”
What are the ingredients in the classic Mudslide drink? How to make the frozen variation? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Coffee liqueur
- Irish cream
- Heavy cream (classic) or vanilla ice cream and ice (frozen)
How to make a Mudslide: 2 ways!
Of course, as homemade cocktail connoisseurs we are partial to the classic Mudslide! But if you want to make a frozen Mudslide (aka boozy milkshake), we probably can’t stop you. Here’s what you’ll need to do for each variation:
- Classic Mudslide: Place vodka, coffee liqueur, Irish cream and heavy cream in a cocktail shaker. Shake until cold, then strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with shaved chocolate.
- Frozen Mudslide: Place vodka, coffee liqueur, Irish cream, vanilla ice cream, and ice in a blender. Blend until smooth and pour into a glass. Go 1990’s style and decorate the inside of your glass with chocolate syrup.
Use any coffee liqueur, like Kahlua
You can use any type of coffee liqueur for a Mudslide. The most popular type is Kahlua. But what actually is it? Here’s what to know about this coffee liqueur and other types you can use:
- Kahlua is a coffee liqueur that’s made in Mexico: it’s made with rum, sugar and coffee (no dairy!). It does have some caffeine, but only about 25% as much as the same volume of coffee.
- How much does Kahlua cost? It costs about $15 to $20 for a large 750 ml bottle.
- What to use instead of Kahlua? Try other types of coffee liqueur, like Tia Maria or Sheridan’s.
- What other cocktails use Kahlua? Use it to make other Kahlua drinks like a White Russian, Black Russian, B-52, Mind Eraser, Colorado Bulldog or an Espresso Martini.
Use any Irish cream
The other required element in a Mudslide? Irish cream! Irish cream is a liqueur made with Irish whiskey and cream. The most popular Irish cream is Baileys Irish Cream, but there are other brands of Irish cream. The most popular cocktail made with Irish cream is this one. You can also use it to make Irish Cream cocktails like the Chocolate Martini, Coffee Martini, Baileys White Russian, B52, and more.
And that’s it: how to make a Mudslide! Let us know if you make the classic or frozen version in the comments below.
More vodka cocktails
There are so many more tasty vodka cocktails to try! Here are a few more ideas for using up a bottle of vodka…as if you needed any!
- Go for classics like the Vodka Gimlet, Moscow Mule or Cosmo
- Opt for a refreshing Vodka Tonic, Vodka Cranberry or Vodka Spritzer
- Make a fancy brunch with a Classic Bloody Mary
- Try martinis like the Lemon Drop Martini, Pomegranate Martini, Cranberry Martini or French Martini
When to serve a Mudslide
- Happy hour drink
- Dessert cocktail
- Valentine’s Day cocktail
- Girls or guys night drink
- Cocktail hour drink
Here’s how to make a mudslide: the real way! This mudslide recipe makes the classic drink starring vodka, Kahlua and Irish cream.
- 1 ounce* vodka
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur (like Kahlua)
- 1 1/2 ounces Irish cream (like Baileys)
- 1 1/2 ounces heavy cream (or 2 scoops vanilla ice cream and 1/2 cup ice*)
- For the garnish: Shaved chocolate (optional), chocolate sauce for the rim (optional)
- Classic Mudslide: If desired, spread the chocolate sauce on a plate and carefully dip in the cocktail glass rim. Place the vodka, coffee liqueur, Irish cream, and heavy cream in a cocktail shaker. Add 2 handfuls of ice and shake until cold. Strain the drink into a cocktail glass. Garnish with shaved chocolate if desired.
- Frozen Mudslide: Place the vodka, coffee liqueur, Irish cream, vanilla ice cream and ice in a blender. Blend until smooth and pour into a tall glass.
*1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Mudslide, Mudslide recipe, Mudslide drink, How to make a mudslide
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.