The Espresso Martini with Baileys is the perfect cocktail for coffee lovers! It pairs espresso, Baileys and Kahlua with a crunchy coffee bean rim.
Here’s the perfect cocktail for Irish cream lovers: cool, creamy, and full flavored. Meet the Espresso Martini with Baileys! This tasty after dinner drink pairs bitter coffee with sweet, creamy Baileys and Kahlua. The best part? A crunchy coffee bean rim seals the deal. Here at A Couple Cooks, we’re addicted to our morning cup of joe: so the next best thing is drinking it in our cocktails, too! Are you with us? Here’s more about this tasty drink.
Ingredients in an Espresso Martini with Baileys
The Espresso Martini is a vodka martini mixed with espresso, invented back in 1983. It became so popular that it made the list of International Bartender Association’s IBA official cocktails, meaning that it has an “official” definition. The drink was invented by a bartender at the Soho Brasserie in London named Dick Bradsell, who created it for a patron who asked for a drink to wake her up. The coffee machine was right next to the drink station, and the Espresso Martini was born.
A classic Espresso Martini has vodka, Kahlua and espresso. The Espresso Martini with Baileys adds in Baileys Irish cream for a creamy element. The ingredients you’ll need are:
- Kahlua or coffee liqueur
- Baileys Irish cream
- Espresso or strong coffee
Prepping the glass: how to make a coffee bean rim
For this Espresso Martini with Baileys, we added an element that’s not part of the standard drink definition: a coffee bean rim! This gives a lovely sweet coffee scent to the beginning of each sip: and adds a little crunchy texture, too. Here’s how to make a coffee bean rim:
- Grind the coffee beans very finely. You’ll only need a handful of beans.
- Place it in a flat layer on a plate with the same amount of sugar.
- Wet the glass rim.
- Dip the outer edge of the rim into the glass, gently turning the rim. All you need is the outside of the glass to be covered, not the inside.
How to make an Espresso Martini with Baileys
After you make the coffee bean rim, there’s not much to an Espresso Martini! Simply make your espresso and shake up the drink in a cocktail shaker. Here are a few notes on the method:
- Make the coffee. Make a shot of espresso using an espresso maker or in an Aeropress. Or if you don’t have an espresso maker, make a very strong cup of coffee (we use the Chemex or Aeropress).
- Shake in a cocktail shaker. Place the Baileys, Kahlua, vodka and espresso in a cocktail shaker, add ice, and shake (Don’t have one? Use a mason jar!)
- Strain into a glass and garnish. Strain into the prepared martini glass or stemmed cocktail glass.
That’s it! It comes out creamy and nuanced, with vanilla and chocolate notes from the Baileys highlighting the bitter notes from the coffee. It’s
More about Baileys Irish cream
Are you a Baileys Irish Cream lover? Fun fact: this tasty liqueur is actually the most popular liqueur sold worldwide. Here’s a bit more about it:
- Baileys Irish Cream a liqueur made with Irish whiskey, cream, and cocoa that’s manufactured in Ireland. That’s right: part of the tasty flavor is due to chocolate! It’s low alcohol: the ABV is 17% (compared to 40% in spirits like gin, whiskey, and vodka).
- How much does Baileys cost? Baileys is mid-priced: it costs about $20 to $25 for a large 750 ml bottle.
- What other cocktails can you make with it? So many! There are lots of popular Baileys drinks: try the Mudslide, Chocolate Martini and Baileys White Russian.
When to serve an Espresso Martini with Baileys
The Espresso Martini with Baileys works anytime: but it’s a great after dinner drink! Serve it as a:
- Happy hour drink
- Afternoon cocktail
- Late night drinks drink
- Girls or guys night drink
- Cocktail hour drink
An Espresso Martini with Baileys is the ideal cocktail for coffee lovers! Pair espresso, Baileys and Kahlua with a crunchy coffee bean rim.
- 2 ounces* espresso, slightly cooled (use decaf if desired)
- 1 ounces vodka
- ½ ounce Kahlua (or other coffee liqueur like Tia Maria or Sheridan’s)
- ½ ounce Baileys Irish cream
- For the rim: equal parts finely ground coffee beans and granulated sugar, for the garnish
- Make the espresso in an espresso maker or an Aeropress, or make very strong coffee.
- Wet the rim of the cocktail glass. Place the finely ground coffee beans and sugar on a plate, and tilt the outside rim of the glass into the mixture so that it coats the outer rim.
- Place the coffee, vodka, Kahlua, and Baileys in a cocktail shaker. Add 2 handfuls ice and shake until cold. Strain into the prepared cocktail glass.
*To convert to tablespoons, 1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Espresso martini with Baileys, Baileys martini