Here’s how to make French press espresso! It’s easy and makes great tasting espresso, no fancy machine required.
Want to make espresso, but don’t want to shell out for an espresso machine? Have we got a method for you: try this French press espresso. Yes it’s possible: and it makes darn good espresso, too. In fact, we were pleasantly surprised with how close it the flavor was to our expensive espresso machine. The best part? French press espresso is ideal for espresso drinks like a latte, cappuccino, macchiato, iced latte, affogato, and more.
Use espresso roast coffee, medium fine ground
What you’ll need for French press espresso, other than a French press? Espresso roast coffee, ground to a medium fine grind. Here’s why these elements are important:
- Espresso roast is important to get the right dark, bitter flavor that’s typical in espresso shots. We like Starbucks Espresso Roast or Intelligentsia Black Cat.
- Medium fine grind is important for using in the French press. Espresso coffee beans are typically ground very fine, if you’re using an espresso machine. But if it’s too fine, it’s hard to strain out of the French press and you end up with sediment in your coffee cups.
How to make French press espresso: basic steps
Here’s the basic idea behind French press espresso: it’s quick and simple. This method works perfectly, so
- Grind the coffee: Grind ½ cup coffee beans to a medium fine grind.
- Heat the water: Heat ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons water to hot but not boiling (200 to 205°F).
- Add coffee and wait 4 minutes: Add the medium fine ground espresso coffee to the French press. Top with the hot water and stir. Set a timer and wait 4 minutes.
- Plunge: Place the lid on the French press and slowly press on the plunger all the way down.
What French press to buy
Looking for a French press? Here’s the Bodum French press we use. It’s high quality, works well, and the brand has been making them for years. We’d highly recommend it! The other option is to use an insulated French press, which keeps the coffee warm.
Other ways to make espresso without a machine
French press espresso is our top method for making espresso without a machine because it has the best flavor and doesn’t require specialty equipment. But if you’re looking for some other options, here are a few more ideas:
- Manual espresso maker: This option has the best flavor for a specific tool, and at $66 it’s loads cheaper than a machine. This manual espresso maker is what we use: it’s cheap and portable.
- Aeropress: The Aeropress is even cheaper, but you’ll sacrifice in flavor: the espresso isn’t great, but it’s decent if you’re in a bind. Try this Aeropress espresso method.
This French press espresso recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free.Print
It’s possible, and darn good, too. Here’s how to make French press espresso! It makes great tasting espresso, no fancy machine required.
- 36 grams (½ cup beans) espresso roast coffee, medium fine ground
- 205 mL/grams hot water (¾ cup + 2 tablespoons)
- Grind the coffee to a medium fine grounds. Heat the water to hot but not boiling (200 to 205°F).
- Add the espresso coffee to the French press. Top with the hot water and stir.
- Set a timer and wait 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, place the lid on the French press and slowly press the plunger all the way down. Pour into two espresso cups and serve immediately, or use in Espresso Drinks like a latte, cappuccino, macchiato, and more.
- Category: Coffee
- Method: French Press
- Cuisine: Coffee
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: French press espresso, how to make espresso with a french press