Here’s how to make a mocha cappuccino: a combination of rich chocolaty espresso with chocolate steamed milk!
Got a craving for chocolate? Try this Mocha Cappuccino: a chocolate-flavored espresso drink! This recipe has a double dose of chocolate: both real chocolate in the espresso and chocolate syrup in the steamed milk. Each sip is rich and dreamy, scented with just the right amount of delicate chocolate sweetness. Here’s what to know about how to make it at home!
What is a mocha cappuccino?
A mocha cappuccino is another name for a mocha or mocha latte: a drink made with espresso, steamed milk and chocolate. A cappuccino is very similar to a latte: it just has a different ratio of milk to espresso. So mocha latte and mocha cappuccino are essentially the same thing.
You can’t order a mocha cappuccino at Starbucks or any other coffeeshop: so order it using the words mocha, café mocha or mocha latte. It’s worth noting that a mocha frappuccino is coffee, milk and chocolate syrup blended with ice: essentially a chocolate coffee milkshake.
The difference between this recipe and our classic Mocha? This one has chocolate syrup in the milk, not just the espresso. The ingredients you need for a mocha cappuccino are:
- Chocolate chips
- Chocolate syrup
For the espresso
To make a mocha cappuccino, you need a method for homemade espresso! The best way is with a countertop espresso machine, but it can be cost prohibitive. Luckily, there are several other great methods for espresso:
- Espresso machine: The best way to make espresso is with a countertop espresso machine: the flavor is impeccable. Go to How to Make Espresso.
- Manual espresso maker: Without a machine, you can use a small manual espresso maker: it’s cheaper and portable! This is our top choice outside the machine.
- French press: French press espresso is a great option using a tool you might already have on hand.
- Moka Pot (Bialetti): Try Moka Pot coffee for a dark, espresso-like coffee (it’s like a mix between drip coffee and espresso).
Steaming or frothing the milk
The other important thing about making a mocha cappuccino: the method for steaming or frothing the milk! Keep in mind: fresh whole milk is best for this process. For vegan, you can use oat milk! If you have an espresso machine you can steam the milk, otherwise you can use one of the various milk frothing methods below. Here’s what to know:
- Steam the milk: If you’ve got an espresso machine, this is the way to go! It’s a bit technical, but the result is rich, creamy microfoam. And, you can make latte art like we did in the photos! Go to How to Steam Milk.
- Froth the milk (without a machine): There are several ways to froth milk. The best method is a hand frother, but you can also use a French press or whisk. Go to How to Froth Milk.
How to make a mocha cappuccino
Once you’ve got the espresso and milk methods figured out, making a mocha cappuccino is a breeze! Skip down to the recipe below, or review the following basic idea:
- Make the espresso. Go to How to Make Espresso.
- Place chocolate chips in the cup, then add espresso. The heat of the coffee melts the chocolate!
- Steam the milk and chocolate syrup (espresso machine method) OR, heat the milk and syrup on the stovetop, then froth it. Heat the milk in a pan until it reaches 150 degrees Fahrenheit is perfect: that’s where the milk is hot to the touch but not simmering. Then froth using your desired method to froth the milk until it’s very foamy..
- Serve. Pour the frothed chocolaty milk into the chocolaty espresso and serve!
More espresso drinks
Love coffee? There are so many great espresso drinks to try! Here are some favorites:
- Lattes like Cafe Latte, Vanilla Latte, Oat Milk Latte, or Lavender Latte
- Iced drinks like Iced Mocha, Iced White Chocolate Mocha, Perfect Iced Latte, Mocha Frappe, Frozen Coffee, Iced Vanilla Latte, Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Espresso, Iced Cappuccino, Iced Americano or Iced Espresso
- Classic drinks like a Ristretto, Lungo, Americano, Macchiato or Cappuccino
- Creamy drinks like Cortado, Espresso Con Panna, or Breve
- Sweet drinks like Mocha or Affogato
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
- 1 doubleshot espresso (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 4 ounces (½ cup) fresh whole milk* (double for two servings when steaming)
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- Make the espresso: Make the espresso using an espresso machine, manual espresso maker, French press, or Moka Pot. Go to How to Make Espresso for instructions. Place the chocolate chips into the mug and pour the espresso on top.
- Steam or froth the milk and chocolate syrup (double batch): Add the chocolate syrup to the milk. Steam the milk with an espresso machine, or heat and then froth the milk using your method of choice (milk frother, French press, whisk or covered jar). It’s easiest to steam or froth 1 cup of milk for 2 drinks, so use 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup. Go to How to Steam Milk or How to Froth Milk for details on each.
- Serve: Swirl the milk container a few times. Pour milk and foam into center of the chocolaty espresso. If desired, top with chocolate shavings for garnish.
*Fresh whole milk works best; milk that is a few weeks old may not froth. Oat milk works best for a vegan mocha cappuccino.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Espresso
- Cuisine: Coffee
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Mocha cappuccino
Let us know if you have any questions!