Frozen coffee is quick and simple to blend up at home! It makes a tasty puree that’s better than any coffee shop.
Here’s a coffee drink that’s icy, bold and rich: and so easy to whip up at home: Frozen Coffee! There are lots of different ways to make a frozen coffee, like a frappe or even an iced mocha. But this recipe is quick and simple with just 3 ingredients! Grab some leftover strong coffee, ice and a blender to make this easy and refreshing coffee drink.
What’s in frozen coffee?
Frozen coffee is a drink made by blending coffee with ice and sugar. It’s similar to a frappé, a frozen drink of blended instant coffee, sugar and water or milk. This drink is even simpler, because all you need are three ingredients:
- Strong coffee (see below)
This drink is so quick and easy to make, it’s become of a favorite caffeinated treat to whip up in the afternoons or especially in summer! The recipe below makes a nice medium-sized drink, but feel free to double it if you prefer a large drink, closer to the size you’d find at a coffee shop.
How to make the strong coffee
What’s the definition of a strong coffee? Here are a few methods for making a cup of joe that works in this frozen coffee recipe. You’ll want it strong enough so the coffee flavor shines through, so a normal pot of coffee doesn’t quite do the trick.
- Use 2x the grounds of your usual coffee method. Try our Pourover or French Press Coffee methods.
- Use a Moka Pot. The Moka Pot (aka Bialetti) makes a strong coffee similar to espresso. You can use straight Moka Pot coffee or water it down slightly (one recipe makes nearly enough for two of these drinks).
For the topping
If you like, you can top your frozen coffee with a good dollop of whipped cream. We don’t think it’s necessary, but it makes for a fun garnish! Here are some options:
- Try homemade whipped cream
- Make a batch of vegan whipped cream as a dairy-free option
- Use cold foam, a Starbucks invention of frothed nonfat milk that makes a frothy topping for cold coffee drinks
More frozen coffee drinks
There are loads of ways to make frozen or iced coffee drinks! Here are a few more cold coffee drinks we love:
- Try a Mocha Frappe
- Go for an Iced Mocha or Iced White Chocolate Mocha
- Grab a classic Iced Coffee, Iced Americano or Iced Espresso
- Go for a Perfect Iced Latte
This frozen coffee recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free omit the whipped cream or use vegan whipped cream.Print
- ¾ cup strong coffee, cooled
- 1 cup ice
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- Whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- Place the coffee, ice, and sugar in the blender and blend until combined.
- If desired, top with whipped cream to serve.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Coffee
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Frozen coffee