This Jameson whiskey sour makes a deliciously smooth drink! Irish whiskey gives a balanced flavor to this “Irish sour.”
Got a bottle of Jameson and not sure how to use it? Or want to jazz up your standard whiskey sour? Try the Jameson whiskey sour, aka Irish sour! Irish whiskey gives a smooth flavor to this drink, with none of the spicy finish of bourbon or rye whiskey. It’s the perfect way to use up a bottle! Here’s our best whiskey sour recipe, with a few notes for using Irish whiskey.
Ingredients in a Jameson whiskey sour
The whiskey sour is an iconic classic cocktail that goes back centuries! In fact, it was first mentioned in a cocktail book in the 1870’s! The whiskey sour is on the list of International Bartender Association’s IBA official cocktails, meaning it has an official definition. Typically this cocktail uses a bourbon or rye whiskey: but you can make it with Jameson whiskey too! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Jameson Irish whiskey
- Lemon juice
- Simple syrup or maple syrup
As a note: maple syrup is a great option for a natural sweetener! It adds a nuance to the flavor that’s our preferred method, versus the straightforward sweetness of simple syrup. Use whatever you have on hand or prefer!
Increase the Jameson whiskey for a stronger flavor!
Jameson Irish whiskey has a unique flavor compared to other types of whiskey. What does Jameson taste like? The flavor is light and fruity, with a lightly floral scent and hints of nutty and vanilla tones. The finish is smooth and mellow, compared to the spicier finish of bourbon or rye whiskey. Use it in great Irish whiskey cocktails, like the Irish mule or Irish coffee.
Because it has such a mellow flavor, you can slightly increase the whiskey in this Irish sour if you like a stronger whiskey flavor. Go up to at least 2 ½ ounces Jameson, or more to taste.
Add an egg white if desired!
Do you love a classic egg white cocktail? The Irish sour can be served with or with an egg white, which some people call a Boston Sour. Why add it? It’s a 1920’s classic way to add a frothy topping and creamy texture to a cocktail. If you want to make it with an egg white, you’ll need to use a technique called a dry shake. Go to Whiskey Sour with Egg White or follow the steps below:
- Shake ingredients without ice. Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker except the ice. Shake 15 seconds.
- Add ice and shake! Add the ice and shake 30 seconds. The foam will rise to the top!
Whiskey sour variations
There are so many variations on the classic whiskey sour! You can use this Jameson whiskey sour recipe as a template for making the following drink variations:
- New York sour: Float red wine on the top to make a New York Sour
- Boston sour: Add an egg white and make it a Boston Sour!
- Whiskey sour with sour mix: Try it with our standard Whiskey Sour Mix
- Lime sour: Or, make a Whiskey Sour with Lime
- Amaretto whiskey sour: Add equal parts whiskey and amaretto for an Amaretto Whiskey Sour
Another cocktail with Jameson…the Irish mule
Love mixing up Jameson cocktails? Another great idea outside of this Jameson whiskey sour is…an Irish Mule! It’s a spin on the classic Moscow Mule using Irish whiskey, ginger beer, and lime juice. Head over to that recipe to mix one up.
When to serve a Jameson whiskey sour
The Jameson whiskey sour is a classy cocktail that works for anytime! It’s great for sipping as a:
- Happy hour drink
- Dinner party drink
- Summer patio drink
- Late night drinks drink
- Guys or girls night drink
- Cocktail hour drink
This Jameson whiskey sour makes a deliciously smooth drink! Irish whiskey gives a balanced flavor to this classic cocktail.
- Add the Jameson whiskey, lemon juice, and syrup to a cocktail shaker. Fill with a handful of ice and shake until very cold.
- Strain the drink into a lowball or Old Fashioned glass. Serve with ice, a lemon wedge and a cocktail cherry.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Jameson whiskey sour