Smoothies are a great way to eat your greens without noticing! Here are the best green smoothie recipes that bring big flavor with healthy leafy greens.
Want to eat more greens without noticing? A green smoothie is your best bet! Nutrient dense leafy greens like spinach, kale, and chard are chock full of vitamins, fiber and are low in calories (read more here). So why not blend them into a smoothie? Whizzing greens together with fruit and ice makes them taste sweet and tangy: not bitter at all! In fact, you’ll barely notice drinking this magic green potion is good for you.
Here are our top favorite ways to make a green smoothie! Each one we’ve tested multiple times in our own kitchen and verified: it tastes incredible and a three year old inhales it too (our ultimate test). There are sweet and fruity green smoothies made with kale and spinach. There’s a creamy spin with avocado, and a weirdly good version featuring celery and ginger. There’s a little something for everyone, and we hope you’ll love each one of them!
And now…our favorite green smoothie recipes!
Here’s how to make the best green smoothie chock full of nutrients! The sweet tart flavor is so irresistible, you’ll forget you’re eating your greens.
- 1 large green apple
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (or 1 banana and 1 1/2 cups frozen mango or pineapple, skip the maple)
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves or chopped spinach, loosely packed
- 10 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- Chop the apple into chunks, leaving the peel on. Place everything in a blender and blend until smooth, stopping and scrapping as necessary. (If you’re using the fruit option, try adding the frozen fruit in 2 batches and blending between.)
- Category: Drink
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Smoothies
Keywords: Green smoothie recipes
More smoothie recipes!
Of course, there are lots more flavors to try outside of these green smoothie recipes! Here are more of our favorite smoothie recipes:
- Berries: Strawberry, Mixed Berry, Fruit, Blueberry, Strawberry Banana, Strawberry Mango, Raspberry, or Blueberry Banana Smoothie Tart and full of sweet fruity flavor!
- Creamy: Yogurt, Vanilla Protein or Peanut Butter Smoothie Lusciously creamy and packed with flavor.
- Fruits: Banana, Peach, Watermelon, Orange, or Pineapple Smoothie Juicy and lightly sweet: perfectly refreshing.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.