Here are all the best creme de cacao drinks to make with this chocolate liqueur! They’re creamy, classy, and totally irresistible.
Got a bottle of creme de cacao and want more ways to use it? This delightful chocolate liqueur adds milk chocolate and vanilla notes to cocktails of all kinds. It features in drinks dating from the early 1900’s through the 1970’s: but interestingly it’s one of the oldest liqueurs around!
Here are all the best creme de cacao drinks to make with this tasty liqueur, from pre-Prohibition cocktails to 1970’s classics! Try everything from the creamy, sophisticated Brandy Alexander to the beachy Bushwacker. Whatever you choose: you won’t be disappointed!
First up in the best creme de cacao drinks: the Brandy Alexander! This sophisticated cocktail was first invented in 1916 with gin, and later brandy became the preferred liquor. This simple cocktail is equal parts creamy, intriguing, and delicious: a mix of Cognac with cocoa liqueur. It’s almost like a grown up version of the White Russian...but even better.
Ingredients: White creme de cacao, Cognac, cream
The next most popular creme de cacao drink: the Chocolate Martini! This drink is rich and creamy, basically a dessert in a glass. It’s got Irish cream and creme de cacao for maximum flavor, like the liquid version of your favorite chocolate bar. Mix this up for special occasions like Valentine’s Day or a romantic dinner…or just anytime you need a sweet treat in cocktail form.
Ingredients: Vodka, white creme de cacao, Irish cream, cream, cocoa powder, simple syrup
Here’s a frozen creme de cacao cocktail that will blow your mind with its creamy, chocolaty flavor: the Bushwacker! This one is equal parts refreshing and rich…and man, are we glad it’s now part of our repertoire. Invented in the 1970’s, the Bushwacker is a mashup of a chocolate milkshake and piña colada. It’s lusciously smooth with notes of chocolate, coffee and vanilla. It’s perfect for sipping poolside or as a dessert drink any time you’re dreaming of sun.
Ingredients: rum, Kahlua, white or dark creme de cacao, cream of coconut, milk, ice
It’s glowing green, it’s rich and creamy, and it’s delightfully mint chocolate. Yes, it’s everyone’s favorite: the Grasshopper! Turns out, this classic cocktail has more history than you’d expect: it dates back to 1918. The traditional version of this drink doesn’t call for ice cream, either. Just like the Mudslide, its original form was not a boozy milkshake! Shake this classy, creamy after-dinner drink in a cocktail shaker and strain it into a martini glass.
Ingredients: White creme de cacao, creme de menthe, cream
Ever tried a Golden Cadillac? This pale yellow after dinner drink blew us away with its creamy, complex flavor! The name sounds a bit 1950’s (and it is), but we think this retro cocktail deserves a place among the greats. One sip and it’s herbal, creamy, and lightly chocolate, with hints of anise and nutmeg. It’s a little like a Brandy Alexander…but even better.
Ingredients: Galliano, white creme de cacao, cream
More about creme de cacao
Despite it’s name, there’s no cream in creme de cacao at all! Here’s a bit more about this chocolate liqueur:
- Creme de cacao is a cocoa bean flavored liqueur, available in both white (clear) and dark varieties. It’s possibly one of the first alcoholic beverages, made in the 1600’s by monks after cocoa beans were brought back to Europe from America (source).
- What does creme de cacao taste like? White creme de cacao tastes like milk chocolate with notes of vanilla. Dark creme de cacao tastes richer, with darker chocolate notes. White creme de cacao is the most popular for use in cocktails, so we recommend buying that variety.
- How much does creme de cacao cost? It costs between $10 to $20 for a 750 ml bottle.
Creme de Cacao Drinks: Brandy Alexander & More!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
Everyone loves a Brandy Alexander: creamy, sweet and boozy! Mix up this classy dessert drink recipe with brandy and Creme de Cacao.
- 1 ½ ounces* Cognac (or other brandy)
- 1 ½ ounces white Creme de Cacao
- 1 ½ ounces heavy cream or half and half
- For the garnish: grated fresh nutmeg
- Add the ingredients to a cocktail shaker. Add 2 handfuls of ice and shake until cold, about 15 seconds.
- Strain into a cocktail glass. Top with grated fresh nutmeg and serve.
*1 ½ ounces = 3 tablespoons
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Creme de cacao drinks
More cocktail recipes
There are so many more to try! Here are 200+ cocktail recipes for every occasion:
- Classics: Try Classic Cocktails or Great Cocktail Recipes.
- Easy: These 10 Easy Mixed Drinks and Cheap Drinks have just 2 to 3 ingredients.
- 2 Ingredient: Try 2 Ingredient Tequila Drinks or 2 Ingredient Vodka Drinks.
- Fancy: Opt for the best in Craft Cocktails.
- The Big 5: Try all our cocktails with Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, Tequila or Rum.
See Also: our master list of Types of Alcohol and Liquor Names!