Here are all the best creme de cacao drinks to make with this chocolate liqueur! They’re creamy, classy, and totally irresistible.
Got a bottle of creme de cacao and want more ways to use it? This delightful chocolate liqueur adds milk chocolate and vanilla notes to cocktails of all kinds. It features in drinks dating from the early 1900’s through the 1970’s: but interestingly it’s one of the oldest liqueurs around!
Here are all the best Creme de Cacao drinks to make with this tasty liqueur, from pre-Prohibition cocktails to 1970’s classics! Try everything from the creamy, sophisticated Brandy Alexander to the beachy Bushwacker. Whatever you choose: you won’t be disappointed!
More about creme de cacao
Despite it’s name, there’s no cream in creme de cacao at all! Here’s a bit more about this chocolate liqueur:
- Creme de cacao is a cocoa bean flavored liqueur, available in both white (clear) and dark varieties. It’s possibly one of the first alcoholic beverages, made in the 1600’s by monks after cocoa beans were brought back to Europe from America (source).
- What does creme de cacao taste like? White creme de cacao tastes like milk chocolate with notes of vanilla. Dark creme de cacao tastes richer, with darker chocolate notes. White creme de cacao is the most popular for use in cocktails, so we recommend buying that variety.
- How much does creme de cacao cost? It costs between $10 to $20 for a 750 ml bottle.
Everyone loves a Brandy Alexander: creamy, sweet and boozy! Mix up this classy dessert drink recipe with brandy and Creme de Cacao.
- 1 1/2 ounces* Cognac (or other brandy)
- 1 1/2 ounces white Creme de Cacao
- 1 1/2 ounces heavy cream or half and half
- For the garnish: grated fresh nutmeg
- Add the ingredients to a cocktail shaker. Add 2 handfuls of ice and shake until cold, about 15 seconds.
- Strain into a cocktail glass. Top with grated fresh nutmeg and serve.
*1 1/2 ounces = 3 tablespoons
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Creme de cacao drinks
More cocktail recipes
There are so many more to try! Here are 200+ cocktail recipes for every occasion:
- Classics: Try Classic Cocktails or Great Cocktail Recipes.
- Easy: These 10 Easy Mixed Drinks and Cheap Drinks have just 2 to 3 ingredients.
- Fancy: Opt for the best in Craft Cocktails.
- The Big 5: Try all our cocktails with Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, Tequila or Rum.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.