Here are all the very best sides for soup! Serve these easy side dish recipes with anything from potato soup to minestrone.
Soups are one of the easiest ways to get dinner on the table. But how to make it into a meal? It can be difficult to find just the right side dishes to compliment the meal and make it healthy yet satisfying. Don’t worry: we’re here to help!
Here’s a list of our top favorite sides for soup. Each side dish is pretty versatile, and works for anything from loaded potato soup to an Italian minestrone. There are lots of crisp green salads full of nutrients, and tasty and filling breads to make for a hearty meal. Ready to get started?
And now…our top sides for soup!
This homemade garlic bread is the best side for soup! It’s crunchy on top, chewy on the inside, and full of flavor.
- 1 loaf French bread (or any medium-sized artisan loaf)
- 4 tablespoons melted salted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or minced finely
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the entire loaf of bread in half lengthwise (see the photos).
- Mix the butter with the finely chopped parsley and grated garlic, grating it right into the butter (or if you don’t have a microplane or grater, mince the garlic as finely as possible). Then brush the garlic butter onto the cut sides of the bread. Sprinkle the cut sides with a bit of kosher salt.
- Place the cut sides of the bread halves together and wrap the loaf in foil. Place the bread on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes until warmed through.
- Remove the foil and place the bread cut side up on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Broil for 2 to 3 minutes until browned and crispy, rotating the pan halfway through so the color is even. Cut the bread into slices and serve immediately (or place it back in foil and keep warm in a 350 degree oven until serving).
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sides for Soup, What to Serve with Potato Soup
And some favorite soup recipes
Of course, we couldn’t leave you with only sides for soup! Here are some of our best soup recipes:
- Easy Loaded Potato Soup The very best easy potato soup you’ll find! Creamy and comforting, it’s made in minutes with no cream and no need for a blender. (Or try it in the Instant Pot.)
- Easy Pizza Soup Take one bite of this pizza soup, and it tastes like your favorite pie in bowl form!
- Curry Lentil Soup Ultra cozy and healthy! It’s a hearty plant based recipe that’s filling enough for lunch or dinner.
- Best Wild Rice Soup Impossibly creamy, packed with flavor and full of tender veggies and hearty rice. Everyone asks for the recipe—it’s that good. (Or try it in the Instant Pot,)
More sides to go with…
We love helping you find great recipes to pair with main dishes! Here are a few more recipe collections:
- Sides to Serve with Mac and Cheese
- What to Serve with Fajitas
- Sides to Serve with Enchiladas
- What to Serve with Stuffed Peppers
- Sides to Serve with Lasagna
- Sides to Go with Salmon
- Best Sides to Go with Tacos
- Sides to Go with Pizza
- Sides to Go with Chili
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.