Take one bite of this pizza soup, and it tastes like your favorite pie in bowl form! Serve with crusty bread for an outrageously delicious meal.
With our affinity for artisan pizza recipes, I’m surprised it’s taken us this long to think this idea. Pizza soup! Because who wouldn’t want all the flavors of a supreme pizza wrapped up in a cozy bowl? The broth is flavored with pizza sauce, tomatoes, and a little Parmesan to make it creamy. The toppings are swimming along inside: bell peppers, garlic and mushrooms, making for a savory pop that surprises you in every bite. Serve with garlic toast, grilled cheese or simply crusty bread and it’s a meal you’ll want to make over and over…and over. (We already have.)
Ingredients in pizza soup
This pizza soup was only a matter of time. Alex and I have been enamored with making artisan-style pizza since our honeymoon to Italy years ago. We’ve spent a decade researching pizza dough recipes and learning from professionals, and you’ll see that culmination in our next level Margherita Pizza. So what better challenge than to take all that know how and distill it down into a…soup?
This pizza soup is for when you want the experience of pizza, but none of the hassle. The broth tastes so spot on that after a spoonful you’ll exclaim, “That tastes just like pizza!” (Promise. We did.) Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this healthy whole food recipe:
- Pizza sauce
- Canned crushed tomatoes (fire roasted if possible)
- Vegetable broth
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Red onion, garlic, bell pepper, mushroom
- Dried oregano and fennel seeds
Find your favorite pizza sauce or make homemade
Part of the pizza flavor in this recipe comes from…pizza sauce! There are lots of great all natural pizza sauces out there these days. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Grab a high quality jar of pizza sauce, organic if possible. Check the ingredients on the back to make sure there’s not too much added sugar or preservatives.
- Or, make homemade! You can also make your own pizza sauce. Our Easy Pizza Sauce takes just 5 minutes in a blender. It’s sensational.
Fire roasted tomatoes add complexity
Here’s another tip for the best flavor in this pizza soup. Use fire roasted canned tomatoes! Fire roasted tomatoes are canned tomatoes that have been roasted over an open flame. It lightly chars the outsides and makes the flavor sweet right out of the can unlike most canned tomatoes.
Fire roasted tomatoes are sold by several different brands, and have become popular in grocery stores here in the US. If you can’t find them, you can substitute any high quality tomatoes you can find.
Fennel seeds add meaty flavor
Lastly: don’t be tempted to leave out the fennel seeds! Fennel is a vegetable that’s used in recipes raw or as dried seeds. You should be able to find them in the spice aisle in your grocery. Why is fennel seed so important? Well, it’s a spice that’s used in sausage, so it makes your brain think of meat. It adds as meaty, savory flavor to this soup that cannot be replicated!
Pizza soup variation: add mix-in ingredients!
Want to add more “toppings” to this pizza soup? It’s easy to add more vegetables to make this soup even more filling or to add protein. Here are some more ideas:
- White beans (to add plant-based protein)
- Chopped pepperoni
- Sliced black olives
What else would you add to this pizza soup?
What to serve with pizza soup
Once you’ve cooked up a pot of pizza soup, the best part is figuring out what to serve with it! There are so many great ways to accessorize it to make it a full meal. It’s great for any season, but especially warming in fall or winter. Here are some ideas:
- Croutons: Mix up a recipe of homemade croutons to add on top!
- Crusty bread: Serve with artisan bread like a sourdough or no knead bread.
- Cheese toast: A favorite! This ultimate cheese toast has mayo, mustard and gooey cheese.
- Garlic bread: Try our classic garlic bread, or an even easier version, garlic toast!
- Grilled cheese: Try avocado grilled cheese or even better, pesto grilled cheese dippers! YUM.
- Gluten free options: Browse this list of bread substitutes!
This pizza soup recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free.Print
Take one bite of this pizza soup, and it tastes just like your favorite pie in bowl form! Serve with crusty bread for an outrageously delicious meal.
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 15 ounce jar pizza sauce (or Easy Pizza Sauce)
- 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart (4 cups) vegetable broth
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for the garnish
- Fresh basil, for the garnish (optional)
- 1/2 recipe Homemade Croutons, crusty bread, garlic bread or garlic toast, for serving (optional)
- Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Dice the bell peppers. Destem and chop the mushroom caps into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, and peppers and sauté for 4 minutes, until translucent. Add ½ teaspoon kosher salt, the garlic, oregano, fennel, and red pepper flakes and cook 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant and the veggies have softened.
- Add the pizza sauce, canned tomatoes and their liquid, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and simmer 5 more minutes until it is melted. Taste and add additional kosher salt if necessary.
- Serve warm topped with homemade croutons, additional Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil leaves (or simply serve with crusty bread or a gluten free bread substitute).
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Pizza soup
More soup recipes…and pizza recipes!
When pizza and soup collide…it’s such a treat! Here are a few more of our favorite soup recipes and pizza pies:
- Enjoy cozy and rustic Creamy Vegan Potato Soup or Cozy White Bean Soup
- Try irresistibly hearty Best Ever Lentil Soup or Easy Taco Soup
- Go easy with Garden Vegetable Soup, or fancy with French Onion Soup
- Go Italian-style with Creamy Tortellini Soup or Pasta e Ceci (Italian Chickpea Soup)
- Opt for ultra creamy Broccoli Potato Soup
- Bake up gourmet Burrata Pizza
- Go for a white sauce with Spinach Pizza, Pizza Bianca or Ricotta Pizza
- Grab your cast iron skillet for Perfect Pan Pizza or Easy Cast Iron Pizza