Take one bite of this pizza soup, and it tastes just like your favorite pie in bowl form! Serve with crusty bread for an outrageously delicious meal.
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 15 ounce jar pizza sauce (or Easy Pizza Sauce)
- 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for the garnish
- Fresh basil, for the garnish (optional)
- 1/2 recipe Homemade Croutons, crusty bread, garlic bread or garlic toast, for serving (optional)
- Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Dice the bell peppers. Destem and chop the mushroom caps into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, and peppers and sauté for 4 minutes, until translucent. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, the garlic, oregano, fennel, and red pepper flakes and cook 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant and the veggies have softened.
- Add the pizza sauce, canned tomatoes and their liquid, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and simmer 5 more minutes until it is melted. Taste and add additional kosher salt if necessary.
- Serve warm topped with homemade croutons, additional Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil leaves (or simply serve with crusty bread or a gluten free bread substitute).
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
Keywords: Pizza soup