The sweet, smoky flavor of canned fire roasted tomatoes is unlike any other! Here’s more about them and the best ways to use them in recipes.
Here’s a type of tomato that’s pure magic in a can: Fire Roasted Tomatoes! Maybe you’ve seen cans in the grocery store aisle and wondered, what’s so special about this ingredient? Move over regular tomatoes. The flavor difference that fire roasting brings to the table is truly immense. Plus, you can get away with simmering your tomato sauces less time (and who would complain about that?). Here’s the skinny on this special ingredient and why we think it should be in the pantry of every home cook.
What are fire roasted tomatoes?
Fire roasted tomatoes are canned tomatoes that are fire roasted over an open flame to accentuate their flavor. They taste sweet and subtly smoky right out of the can, instead of bitter and acidic like most standard canned tomatoes. This variety makes for full-bodied tomato sauces and tomato-based soups: and less cook time is required to mellow out the flavors.
Where to find fire roasted tomatoes
Fire roasted tomatoes are available whole, diced and crushed from various brands at most mainstream grocery stores. Check next to the regular canned tomatoes! Popular brands include Muir Glen, Hunts, Delallo, Simple Truth, and more. (Our favorite? We think Muir Glen has the best overall flavor.)
The flavor of fire roasted tomatoes is unparalleled and hard to replicate! If you can’t find them near you, you can try using the highest quality canned tomatoes you can find. We suggest adding a hint of sugar and smoked paprika to mimic their sweet, smoky nuance.
Ways to use fire roasted tomatoes
Fire roasted tomatoes are ideal for tomato-based sauces like pizza sauce and marinara sauce, pasta recipes, soups, and more! They’re the key to our famous Pizza Sauce: try it and you’ll never go back! We also love adding them to soups because it makes them taste like they’ve been simmering all day long. Here are some of our top fire roasted tomato recipes:
More quick guides
Mystified by an ingredient, or want to learn more about flavor secrets? Here are a few more quick guides to peruse:
- Learn about spicy Calabrian Chilis
- Understand the world’s most nutrient-dense veggie, Watercress
- Learn all about creamy Goat Cheese (Chevre)
- See why Castelvetrano Olives make an olive lover out of anyone
This homemade pizza sauce recipe gets rave reviews! It uses only 5 ingredients and takes only 5 minutes in a blender: no cooking required.
- 15 ounces crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic (1/2 medium)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Scant ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cut the garlic into a few rough pieces (no need to mince it).
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until fully combined. (This pizza sauce is Italian-style, which has a slightly runnier texture than American style pizza sauce. See the video for the desired texture!) Store refrigerated for 1 week or frozen up to 3 months.
Fire roasted tomatoes are key for their mellow, sweet flavor. Inspired by Flour Water Salt Yeast
- Category: Sauce
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Fire roasted tomatoes