This main dish healthy potato salad features roasted sweet potatoes, hard-boiled eggs and a tasty honey mustard vinaigrette.
A few recipes in our archive are old favorites, some we make often and some have faded into memory. I came across this one the other day and knew we had to remake it. This healthy potato salad is a different type of potato salad: potatoes served over greens instead of with mayo. It can be either a main or a side salad featuring roasted red potatoes, sweet potatoes, hard-boiled eggs and greens with our very favorite honey mustard vinaigrette. Keep reading for the healthy potato salad recipe!
Related: 10 Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
How to make sweet potato salad
A friend of mine told me she loves the dressing in this sweet potato salad because it’s easy to remember: 2, 2, 2, and 4. That is, 2 tablespoons each of white wine vinegar, honey, and stone ground mustard, and 4 tablespoons olive oil. It always stuck with me that she liked that, and to this day if we have a chance to make a memorable ratio in a recipe, we do it.
Related: 14 Red Potato Recipes | What To Do with Hard Boiled Eggs
Make up that dressing while you’re roasting the potatoes for this healthy potato salad. This recipe calls for both red potatoes and sweet potatoes, which are roasted in a very hot oven. Simply drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt, and roast for about 30 minutes.
For the hard boiled eggs: it’s helpful to make them in advance. Here’s our method for stovetop hard boiled eggs. You can also use our Instant Pot hard-boiled eggs method if you have a pressure cooker. And when it comes to peeling, here’s how to make hard boiled eggs easy to peel.
The resulting healthy potato salad is a burst of flavor, with tangy and savory contrasting against the sweet potatoes. And who doesn’t love sweet potatoes? We hope you enjoy it as a main dish salad option for lunch or dinner – let us know if you happen to try it out!
Looking for more on hard boiled eggs?
Outside of this healthy potato salad, here are a few more uses for hard boiled eggs and resources:
- Smoky Deviled Eggs
- Hard Boiled Egg and Smoked Cheddar Grilled Cheese
- Radish and Egg Salad Sandwich
- Related: 14 Egg Recipes for Dinner
- How Much Protein in a Hard Boiled Egg?
- How Long Do Hard Boiled Eggs Last?
- How to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs?
- How Many Calories in a Hard Boiled Egg?
Looking for sweet potato recipes?
As you can see, we’re kinda sweet potato obsessed! Outside of this healthy potato salad, here are some of our favorite sweet potato recipes:
- Baked Sweet Potato with Moroccan Lentils
- Healthy Loaded Sweet Potato Rounds
- Poached Eggs and Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Pizza with Brie
- Moroccan Stew with Chickpeas & Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
- Baked Sweet Potatoes with Goat Cheese & Lentils
- Broccoli Cheese Baked Sweet Potatoes
- All-Star Sweet Potato Chili
- Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
- Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Harissa
This recipe is…
This healthy sweet potato salad recipe is vegetarian and gluten free.Print
Healthy Potato Salad with Hard Boiled Egg
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
This main dish healthy potato salad features roasted sweet potatoes, hard boiled eggs and a tasty honey mustard vinaigrette.
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ small red onion
- Simply Amazing Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 8 cups salad greens
- Hard boil the eggs, according to the Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Steamed Hard Boiled Eggs or Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs methods.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into bite-sized chunks (do not peel). In a bowl, toss the potatoes with olive oil, kosher salt, and lots of fresh ground pepper. Place the potatoes in the oven and roast until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Thinly slice the red onion and rinse the slices under cold water a few times to remove the bite. Slice the eggs into quarters
- Make the Simply Amazing Honey Mustard Vinaigrette.
- To serve, place the greens in a bowl. Top with warm potatoes, red onions, hard-boiled eggs, and dressing.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Salad, Hard Boiled Egg Recipes, Sweet Potatoes, Sweet Potato Recipes, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Healthy Dinner,
Omg, I’m dying to try this and I feel so sheepish for never having tried putting potatoes and sweet potatoes together! It’s the perfect way to get the best of both worlds! Love this!
Oooo this sounds great! I’m always looking for stuff that will go in lunch boxes for work and I think this might just work…
That mustard vinaigrette sounds great with the potatoes! Such a delicious sounding meal!
I feel ya on cleaning up some posts from the teenage years of blogging. I’ve been doing the same thing over the past few months!
This salad looks awesome. I love anything with roasted sweet potatoes and honey mustard dressing is one of my favorites!
That vinaigrette looks so yummy. I love the 222 concept. There’s nothing like homemade salad dressing :)
This very tasty. We liked the 2 potato combination along with the greens. Thank you for posting this little gem.