How long to boil eggs? Boil the water and let the eggs continue to sit in the hot water for about 15 minutes. Full instructions and tips in the recipe and video!
Looking for how long to boil eggs? After some trial and error, Alex and I come up with a perfect hard boiled eggs method that works every time. They not only taste great, but they’re also a versatile source of protein. Use them in salads and sandwiches, for a quick snack, or in deviled eggs as a fancy appetizer. Keep reading for the master recipe and a video!
How long to boil eggs? The short answer
How long to boil eggs? It’s not a simple answer, because they don’t actually boil! As soon as the water comes to a boil, turn off the heat! The eggs sit for about 15 minutes to let them cook fully through. The exact timing depends on the size of the eggs. See the reference chart below — and see above for a short instructional video!
|Qty||Size||Timing once boiling (see below)|
|12||Extra Large||17 Minutes|
Then, place them in ice water!
After the eggs have finished cooking in the hot water, drain the pot and immediately add the eggs to a bowl of ice water. This will prevent the eggs from cooking further (which often results in a dry, crumbly yolk).
Watch the video!
How to peel eggs
After the hard-boiled eggs sit in the ice water, peel the ones you want to eat immediately. You can store leftover unpeeled eggs in the fridge for up to 1 week. Here are a few tips on how to peel eggs:
- Older eggs peel easier than fresh eggs. A dozen that’s been in the refrigerator for about 1 week are the best to use for hard boiling.
- Use the right boiling method, or even better, an Instant Pot. An Instant Pot makes eggs that are easiest to peel. Use our Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs method, or use the boiling method below.
- Gently tap the larger end of the egg so that the shell crushes. Lightly tap the larger end of the egg so that the shell crushes. The bottom end of the egg has an air bubble, which makes it easier to crush the shell. Then start to peel off the shell. Continue peeling the shell until all the pieces are removed.
How to store hard boiled eggs
Store hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator for up to 1 week in a sealed container. It’s best to keep the eggs still in their shell, which keeps them the freshest. So resist peeling the eggs until you’re ready to eat them! Keep the unpeeled eggs in a dry, sealed container in the refrigerator.
Though they might not have that reputation, eggs are some of the most nutritious foods on the planet. What’s the break down? One egg has:
- 75 calories
- 7 grams of protein
- Lots of nutrients
Recent research has found that instead of avoiding eggs for cholesterol reasons, they can increase the good cholesterol the body needs. Eggs are an affordable and easy-to-eat source of high quality protein. They’re also especially helpful for vegetarian diets as a natural source of B12.
This recipe is…
This hard boiled egg recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free.Print
How long do you boil eggs? This tip for how long to boil an egg for hard boiled eggs works every time, and results in easy to peel eggs.
- 12 large eggs (older eggs peel better than fresh)
- Place 12 eggs in the bottom of a large pot and and cover with water 1 inch above the eggs.
- Bring the water to a boil, gently stirring the eggs several times.
- As soon as the water boils, remove the pot from the heat, cover, and let the eggs sit for 15 minutes (13 minutes for small eggs or 17 minutes extra large eggs). Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- After 15 minutes, place the eggs in the ice water and allow them to cool completely (about 15 minutes). Peel immediately, or store in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to hard boil eggs, hard-boiled egg recipe, how to boil eggs, time, timing, long, how, to, eggs, cook, hard, boil, boiled, you
More hard-boiled egg recipes
Now that you know how long to boil eggs, the culinary world is at your fingertips! Use them in one of these recipes:
- Easy Salad Nicoise
- Smoky Deviled Eggs
- Grilled Cheese with Mayo & Egg
- Vegetarian Cobb Salad
- Healthy Potato Salad with Eggs
- Rigatoni with Grated Egg
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- What to Do with Hard Boiled Eggs
- Related: How to make hard boiled eggs easy to peel.
Looking for other essential recipes?
Whether it’s how to grow bean sprouts or how long to boil eggs, our essential recipes are easy DIYs to make at home! Here are few more of our essential and DIY recipes:
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- How to Grow Bean Sprouts
- How to Make Homemade Salad Dressing
- Pressure Cooker Chickpeas
- Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes
- How to Make Sauerkraut
- How to Cook Brown Rice
- How to Cook Freekah
- Hot Honey Recipe
- Balsamic Reduction
- How to Cook Lentils
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Homemade Croutons Recipe
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.