Hot honey is the hottest new sauce for drizzling on everything from biscuits to pizza. Most hot honey recipes take hours: this one takes just 1 minute!
Move over, Sriracha: there’s a new cool condiment in town. It’s hot honey! And by hot we’re not talking temperature: we’re talking spicy. This spicy sweet sticky sauce is used in trend restaurants to drizzle over pizzas and serve with house-made biscuits. So why not make it at home? You can use it to dress up just about anything. Ready to see how it’s done?
What is hot honey?
Hot honey is spicy honey that’s served as a condiment with biscuits, cornbread, and pizza. It can be used to dress up just about anything. There are a few brands on the market, but you can also make it at home.
Most of the hot honey recipes we’ve seen require simmering honey for an hour or more with hot chili peppers. But we decided we’d prefer a quick and easy method. So Alex developed this recipe that takes just 1 minute. 1 minute! Keep reading for how to do it.
How to make hot honey (in 1 minute)
This quick hot honey recipe is ultra easy to make. All you’ll need is honey and your favorite hot sauce. You can use any type of hot sauce: Mexican style like Cholula brand, Tabasco, or even Sriracha. For ours, we used equal parts Cholula and Tabasco for a nuanced flavor.
Here’s how to make hot honey:
- Combine ¼ cup honey and 2 teaspoons hot sauce of your choice. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir.
- Alternatively, heat on the stovetop in a small saucepan for a few minutes.
Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. You can keep it for up to 3 months.
10 ways to use hot honey
There are so many ways to use this sweet and spicy drizzle! What doesn’t sound better with a “with Hot Honey” tacked onto the end? Homemade biscuits with hot honey. Roasted peaches with hot honey. It sounds so sophisticated, yet this recipe is so quick and easy it’s almost like cheating. Here are all of our favorite ways to eat it:
- Drizzle over whipped feta dip and serve with pita triangles.
- Serve with homemade biscuits, Dutch oven bread, or vegan cornbread and salted butter.
- Drizzle over pizza for a sweet and spicy kick. Try with our homemade cheese pizza or mushroom pizza with fresh herbs.
- Add it into a grilled cheese, like grilled cheese with tomato or pesto grilled cheese on the grill.
- Drizzle over roasted smashed potatoes. Or french fries.
- Serve with corn on the cob.
- Bring out the sweetness in roasted vegetables.
- Drizzle it over baked brie and serve with crackers.
- Add a spicy hint to crostini or bruschetta, like cherry & goat cheese crostini or easy bruschetta with mushrooms.
- Dress up fruit, like roasted peaches.
A note on local honey
If you can find local honey, use it in this homemade hot honey recipe! Local honey is incredibly tasty and supports local businesses. Also, since local honey contains a blend of local pollen, it can strengthen your immune system and reduce pollen allergy symptoms. We buy our local honey at our farmers market; often local honey vendors can be found in your local grocery stores as well.
Also, don’t forget to support your local pollinators! One of the best ways to help bees is to plant flowers. Bees love sunflowers and bolted herbs (herbs that have flowered) like basil and chives. Make sure your seeds are non-GMO and not treated with any pesticides or chemicals.
This hot honey recipe is…
Vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, and plant-based.Print
Hot Honey Recipe (in 1 Minute!)
- Prep Time: 0 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Total Time: 1 minute
- Yield: ¼ cup 1x
Hot honey is the hottest new sauce for drizzling on everything from biscuits to pizza. Most spicy honey recipes take hours: this one takes just 1 minute!
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (we used 1 teaspoon Cholula and 1 teaspoon Tabasco)
- Place the honey and hot sauce in a microwave-safe container and microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. (Alternatively, heat the mixture for a few minutes over low heat on the stovetop until combined.) Serve warm. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Hot Honey, Hot Honey Recipe, Spicy Honey
Looking for other essential recipes?
Whether it’s how to make salad dressing or hard boiled eggs, our essential recipes are easy DIYs to make at home! Here are few more of our essential and DIY recipes:
- How to Make Homemade Salad Dressing
- Easy Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Mustard BBQ Sauce
- Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs or Perfect Boiled Eggs
- Whipped Cream Recipe
- Homemade Spinach Tortillas
- Best Coleslaw Dressing Recipe
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Spicy Chipotle Sauce
- Cashew Cream Recipe
- Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Vegan BBQ Sauce
- Basic Tomato Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
Just a quick note for correction! The recipe above says “microwave for 30 minutes” instead of 30 seconds!
I so want to try hot honey, but you can’t get it in the UK from what I can see, I looked on Amazon and it was so expensive for one bottle, I am now looking forward to trying out your recipe instead, thank you for sharing!
I hope you enjoy!
NEVER use a microwave to decrystallize honey. The microwave generates heat by essentially boiling and exploding whatever water molecules are in the item being heated/cooked. … The microwave will essentially destroy all of the beneficial enzymes and properties of the honey.
Oh hush! 🤦♂️
👏 My sentiments exactly!
To make it vegan would Agave work for this recipe? I’m new to Agave and I’m not sure if I can just use it in place of honey In all recipes or just some. I miss honey soooo much, oh well anything for the honey bees.
The honey flavor is important for this one!