Here are all the best parsley recipes for using up a bunch of this fresh herb! It adds an herby brightness, perfect for salads and main dishes.
Got parsley to use up? We’ve got recipes! Parsley is a beautiful herb with a bright, herbaceous flavor. It’s often used in Mediterranean cuisine and has a vibrant, dark green color. Used excessively it can be strong or overpowering. But use it correctly and it adds freshness to all your dishes. And there’s nothing that doesn’t look better with a sprinkling of this bright green chopped herb!
Here are all the best parsley recipes to use up a bunch! Try chimichurri, a tangy garlicky green sauce that goes on anything, or mix up the entire bunch into tabbouleh, a fresh and healthy Mediterranean salad. Try it sprinkled on salads, or use it to make main dishes like stuffed peppers and baked shrimp. Keep reading for the recipes…and a bit more about parsley types.
And now…the best parsley recipes to try!
Types of parsley
There are two main types of parsley you can find at the store! Here’s the breakdown on which to buy:
- Italian parsley or flat leaf parsley: All the recipes in this list should be made with Italian or flat leaf parsley. It has flat, dark green leaves and is the most commonly used parsley in cooking.
- Curly parsley: Avoid this type of parsley for cooking! It has very curly leaves, and is only used for decoration or presentation when serving foods.
This parsley chimichurri recipe has a zesty flavor and bright green color! It’s ideal for dolloping on anything and takes only 5 minutes to make.
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems, tightly packed (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves and tender stems, tightly packed (about 1 large bunch)
- 2 green onions (tops only)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Slice off the tops of the green onions.
- In an immersion blender or small sauce blender, blend all ingredients until a smooth sauce forms, (if necessary, stop and mix the ingredients to allow them to fully blend).
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Parsley recipes, Chimichurri
More herb recipes
Love cooking with herbs? Us too. Here are all our favorites recipes to make with herbs:
- Basil Recipes Basil is king in the summer! Try pesto, pizza, pasta and more.
- Thyme Recipes There’s almost nothing that a sprig of fresh thyme doesn’t make better.
- Chives Recipes The best recipes with this garlicky, oniony fresh herb, from dips to potato soup.
- Mint Recipes Fresh mint is incredibly versatile, great for drinks, salads, desserts….and even pesto.
- Tarragon Vinegar Make DIY vinegar with this fresh herb! It’s easy to infuse subtle herby flavor, great for salad dressings and roasted vegetables.
- Rosemary Recipes This herb’s evergreen flavor is perfect for adding flavor to potatoes, breads, dips and more.
- Cilantro Recipes Cilantro is all about big flavor! It’s perfect in sauces, salsa, and guacamole.
- Dill Recipes Dill has a unique flavor! Try it in dips, potato salad, and of course…pickles.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.