Here are all the best parsley recipes for using up a bunch of this fresh herb! It adds an herby brightness, perfect for salads and main dishes.
Got parsley to use up? We’ve got recipes! Parsley is a beautiful herb with a bright, herbaceous flavor. It’s often used in Mediterranean cuisine and has a vibrant, dark green color. Used excessively it can be strong or overpowering. But use it correctly and it adds freshness to all your dishes. And there’s nothing that doesn’t look better with a sprinkling of this bright green chopped herb!
Here are all the best parsley recipes to use up a bunch! Try chimichurri, a tangy garlicky green sauce that goes on anything, or mix up the entire bunch into tabbouleh, a fresh and healthy Mediterranean salad. Try it sprinkled on salads, or use it to make main dishes like stuffed peppers and baked shrimp. Keep reading for the recipes…and a bit more about parsley types.
And now…the best parsley recipes to try!
The best parsley recipe to use up a bunch? Chimichurri! Its electric green color is totally eye catching, and it’s flavor is ultra tangy and fresh. You’ll find yourself wanting to drizzle a little of this magic green sauce on just about everything! It's a green blended parsley and garlic sauce that originates from Argentina and Uruguay.
Here's another great parsley recipe: and this one uses up the entire bunch! It's tabbouleh: a tangy and delicious Mediterranean grain salad. If you're into Greek or Lebanese food, you've likely had it at a restaurant and it's easy to find at grocery deli counters. It typically bulgur, a chewy whole grain: but here we've substituted quinoa (which makes it naturally gluten-free). The salad is easy to put together and deliciously light and herby.
This potato salad is incredibly tasty: the sum of its parts equal something much greater than the whole! It's a French potato salad with a vinegar and olive oil dressing. The red potatoes are salty, tangy, and moist, mixed with just the right amount of salty capers and fresh herby parsley.
Want to make a main dish parsley recipe? These quinoa stuffed peppers are Mediterranean-style, stuffed with fluffy quinoa mixed with bright parsley and pistachios. Add a spritz of lemon juice and a sprinkle of feta cheese, and they're hearty and crowd pleasing! Roasting the peppers takes just 30 minutes and you can do it while preparing the remainder of the recipe.
Here's another parsley recipe in the form of a salad: this time carrot salad! It might sound humble, but it’s anything but. Serve this carrot salad to your friends and family, and they’ll be singing your praises! We know because after we made this at our house, it disappeared within minutes. It’s simple and refreshing, featuring strings of carrots with minced parsley and a tangy Mediterranean-style vinaigrette.
This baked shrimp is a favorite dinner recipe using parsley that’s straightforward and flavorful. The Mediterranean flavors of feta, garlic and parsley is out of this world! Simmer a simple tomato sauce with onion and garlic, then add the shrimp and bake until pink and tender. Garnish with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley!
Minestrone soup is a thick Italian soup that’s full of chunky vegetables and a hearty broth. Turns out it's often traditionally served with fresh parsley, which adds a freshness and a bright green color! This one is full of colorful veggies, a hearty broth and pasta spirals. It’s so satisfying: great as an easy dinner with crusty bread.
What's a good garlic bread recipe without a sprinkle of parsley? This garlic bread has the perfect savory, garlicky flavor. It’s tender on the inside and crunchy on top from broiling it with Parmesan cheese. Of course, it's baked with fresh parsley for the perfect herby bursts.
Use up leftover parsley with this falafel burger recipe! If you don't have time for authentic falafel, this burger is the next best thing. It's easy to make with canned chickpeas and fresh parsley. The combination of a cumin and coriander-scented chickpea patty with cool cucumber sauce and all the fixin’s is pretty darn epic. It’s a healthy vegetarian and vegan dinner recipe that everyone loves.
Last up in our parsley recipes: Mediterranean couscous bowls! This tasty bowl meal stars lemon herb couscous, cooked simply and combined with fresh parsley and lemon for big flavor. Accessorize with chickpeas and colorful veggies, and top it with a tahini sauce. It's an incredible easy weeknight meal.
Types of parsley
There are two main types of parsley you can find at the store! Here’s the breakdown on which to buy:
- Italian parsley or flat leaf parsley: All the recipes in this list should be made with Italian or flat leaf parsley. It has flat, dark green leaves and is the most commonly used parsley in cooking.
- Curly parsley: Avoid this type of parsley for cooking! It has very curly leaves, and is only used for decoration or presentation when serving foods.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
This chimichurri recipe is full of bright, garlicky flavor! This classic Argentinian sauce is ideal with steak, fish, vegetables and more.
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup very finely chopped Italian parsley (1 bunch)
- ½ cup finely chopped loosely-packed fresh oregano leaves*
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Combine water and kosher salt in a small saucepan and heat until dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together the minced garlic, finely chopped Italian parsley, finely chopped oregano and red pepper flakes. Whisk in red wine vinegar, followed by olive oil and then the salt water. Taste and add additional red pepper flakes if desired. Serve immediately. Store refrigerated for 2 to 3 weeks.
*Or substitute ¼ cup more Italian parsley and use ½ teaspoon dried oregano.
Recipe inspired by Francis Mallman in Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Argentinian
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Parsley recipes
More herb recipes
Love cooking with herbs? Us too. Here are all our favorites recipes to make with herbs:
- Basil Recipes Basil is king in the summer! Try pesto, pizza, pasta and more.
- Thyme Recipes There’s almost nothing that a sprig of fresh thyme doesn’t make better.
- Chives Recipes The best recipes with this garlicky, oniony fresh herb, from dips to potato soup.
- Mint Recipes Fresh mint is incredibly versatile, great for drinks, salads, desserts….and even pesto.
- Tarragon Vinegar Make DIY vinegar with this fresh herb! It’s easy to infuse subtle herby flavor, great for salad dressings and roasted vegetables.
- Rosemary Recipes This herb’s evergreen flavor is perfect for adding flavor to potatoes, breads, dips and more.
- Cilantro Recipes Cilantro is all about big flavor! It’s perfect in sauces, salsa, and guacamole.
- Dill Recipes Dill has a unique flavor! Try it in dips, potato salad, and of course…pickles.
Can i drink fresh blended parley?
We haven’t tried it!