Here are the BEST cilantro recipes for lovers of this tasty herb! There’s something for everyone, from cilantro lime shrimp to the best salsa and guacamole.
Welcome, cilantro lover! Here at A Couple Cooks, we’re huge fans of this zesty herb. Some people have a genetic aversion to the stuff, but we say: get over it! Because cilantro is one of the most delicious herbs there is. It’s the powerhouse behind the best salsa in the world, the freshness in guacamole, and maker or bright green, zingy sauces.
Here are the best of the best cilantro recipes to use this tender herb! If you’ve got a bunch of cilantro, we’ve got all the best dinner ideas, dips, and sauces to liven up your life. Starting…now.
And now…the best cilantro recipes to try!
How to cut cilantro
Many of the recipes above use chopped cilantro. What’s the best way to chop it? We’ve got your back. It’s easy to whack at cilantro endlessly with a knife. Here’s a quick way to cut it without getting bogged down:
- Scrape off the leaves: Hold the root ends of the cilantro with your non-cutting hand. Use a large chef’s knife to scrape off the leaves in a downward motion.
- Remove large stems: Use your fingers to remove any large stems from the cilantro leaves; small tender stems are okay.
- Finely chop: Holding the top of the blade with your non-cutting hand, rock the blade back and forth to chop the cilantro. Pull the leaves back into a pile and go over them with the knife several times until the pieces are the size that you’re looking for.
This cilantro lime shrimp is a healthy, easy dinner recipe that takes just 10 minutes! Serve with rice, in tacos, or as a Mexican-style salad topping.
- 1 pound large shrimp, deveined (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus zest
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Thaw the shrimp (see the notes above).
- Mince the garlic.
- Pat the shrimp dry. In a medium bowl, mix the shrimp with the garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter or olive oil on medium high heat. Cook the shrimp for 1 to 2 minutes per side until opaque and cooked through, turning them with tongs.
- Spritz with lime juice and stir in the lime zest and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Cilantro Recipes, Cilantro Lime Shrimp
More fresh herb recipes
Love cooking with fresh herbs? Us too. Outside of these cilantro recipes, here are a few more places to find tasty recipes:
- Best Basil Recipes Got fresh basil? Here are the best basil recipes for using that peppery herb, from pesto to pizza.
- Best Dill Recipes This herb brings a unique punchy flavor to everything from pickles to salmon to dips.
- Simple Carrot Salad A tangy and simple summer salad.
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes Spice up your potatoes with fresh herbs.
- Mushroom Pizza with Fresh Herbs Top your pizza with loads of herbs.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.