The pressure cooker is perfect for holidays: it saves valuable stove and oven space! These Instant Pot Thanksgiving mashed sweet potatoes are perfectly creamy and sweet-savory: everyone will love them!
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes*
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half (or sub non-dairy milk for vegan)
- 1 clove grated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Thinly sliced chives, for garnish (optional)
- Peel the potatoes, then cut them into large chunks.
- Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot. Add the kosher salt and the water. Lock the lid. Place the pressure release handle (vent) in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on High Pressure for 12 minutes: Press the Pressure Cook button, making sure the “High Pressure” setting is selected, and set the time. Note that it takes about 20 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. (During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Quick release: Vent the remaining steam from the Instant Pot by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. Open the pressure cooker lid.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher directly in the Instant Pot. Then stir in the cream, grated garlic, and black pepper to the hot potatoes. Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired. Garnish with chopped chives and fresh ground pepper.
*This amount makes 12 servings and is intended for a crowd. If you’d like to make less, you can half the recipe without affecting the cook time.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Thanksgiving
Keywords: Instant Pot Thanksgiving, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, recipes, thanksgiving, instant pot, pressure cooker