Hpnotiq is a sky blue liqueur that tastes like passionfruit and mango! Its bright color and fruity flavor make it ideal for cocktails.
It’s sky blue, it’s fruity, and it’s got major early 2000’s vibes: it’s Hpnotiq! Pronounced “Hypnotic” for those of us not in the know, this classy liqueur has a brilliant color and delightful passionfruit flavor. But is this trendy bottle worth the hype? Here’s the backstory of the blue liqueur, and whether we think it’s worth adding to your collection.
What is Hpnotiq?
Hpnotiq is a sky blue liqueur invented in 2001, made with tropical fruit juices, vodka and Cognac. It was invented by entrepreneur Raphael Yakoby, allegedly inspired by a bottle of blue perfume he saw in Bloomingdale’s. The blue liqueur caught on after rapper Sean Combs started to sell it in his restaurant chain Justin’s in New York.
The brand became a pop culture hit, and was mentioned in rap and hip hop hits of the early 2000’s (apparently it was included in 163 song lyrics back in the day!). In 2003, Yakoby sold the brand to Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. for a reported 50 million dollars. It’s now bottled in France and imported to the US.
How do you say it? Say “Hypnotic.” (In fact, it’s often misspelled that way.)
What does Hpnotiq taste like?
Hpnotiq tastes sweet, with strong notes of passionfruit and mango and a subtly bitter finish. Critiques of the blue liqueur are that it is rather sweet and reeks of the 2000’s. But hey: some people say it’s ready to make a comeback!
How much alcohol is in Hpnotiq? It is 17% ABV (alcohol by volume), so it has a low alcohol content that’s similar to liqueurs like Baileys Irish Cream.
Are there any Hpnotiq substitutes? Not really! Blue curacao is close in color, but it’s an orange liqueur so the flavor is quite different. There’s not really a good match for this liqueur.
Why we like it
Hpnotiq might carry a strong 2000’s vibe, but we’re here for it! The passionfruit flavor is unique and it’s well-balanced with other fruity flavors (though it’s on the sweet side). We like it in tropical cocktails because the flavors pair well, and the famous Incredible Hulk is rather intriguing. It’s not a must-buy since it’s not used in many cocktails, but it’s a fun splurge for the adventurous home mixologist.
How much does it cost?
Compared to other liquors, Hpnotiq is mid-priced. A 750 ml bottle costs about $20.
Most popular Hpnotiq drinks
You can drink Hpnotiq straight as a shot, or shaken with ice. Or, make it into cocktails! The most popular Hpnotiq drink is the Incredible Hulk, but you can also try it in a tropical drink like the Hypnotic Breeze or Daiquiri.
- 1 ounce* white rum
- 1 ounce Hpnotiq
- 1 ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- Add the white rum, Hpnotiq, lime juice, and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker. Fill it with ice and shake until cold.
- Strain into a cocktail glass and serve.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
More cocktail guides
Need more liquor guides? We’ve got them! Here’s all you need to know about home bartending:
- Aperol Guide and Campari Guide All you need to know about these Italian liqueurs.
- Cappelletti Guide Why this red Italian bitter is better than Campari.
- Galliano Guide Is this bright yellow liqueur worth buying?
- Grenadine Guide It’s mistaken as cherry, but this bright syrup has a secret.
- Fernet Branca Guide Here’s why people love this Italian bitter.
- Irish Whiskey Guide All about this easy-drinking style of whiskey.
- Kahlua Guide Learn about this popular Mexican coffee liqueur
- Limoncello Guide Why this pucker-inducing liqueur should be part of your collection
- Malibu Rum Guide Ready for all the best beach drinks?
- Peanut Butter Whiskey All you need to know about this trendy, nutty spirit
- Pernod More about this anise-flavored liqueur