Here are all the best cucumber recipes for using this refreshing vegetable! From salads to pickles, they’re so versatile…and delicious.
Could there be a more refreshing vegetable than the cool cucumber? This vegetable is full of water so it’s super hydrating and deliciously crunchy. It’s also a truly versatile vegetable to use in recipes! Pop it into salads, pickle it, or throw it into drinks to make fancy “spa water”.
Nothing says summer like cucumbers, but you can eat them any time of the year! Here we’ve collected our top cucumber recipes that can work for anytime, from tangy cucumber salad to creamy Greek cucumber dill sauce. Bonus: none of these recipes require “cooking”!
And now…our best cucumber recipes!
This creamy cucumber salad is perfect for barbecues and picnics, a refreshing mix of tangy and salty sliced cucumbers and a sour cream sauce.
- 2 medium shallots
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large English cucumbers (2 pounds), or peeled standard cucumbers
- Thinly slice the shallots. In a small container, stir together the sour cream, white vinegar, dried dill, grated garlic clove, kosher salt, and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice cucumbers and place them in a colander (if using standard cucumber, peel them first; English cucumbers don’t need to be peeled). Toss the slices with several larger pinches of kosher salt and rest 45 minutes. Remove them from the colander and pat them dry.
- When ready to serve, gently stir together the cucumbers and dressing (don’t stir too vigorously or it will cause bubbles). Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 2 hours; it gets watery if you refrigerate for too long with the sauce. If you’d like to prepare it in advance, refrigerate the components separately until serving.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Salad
Keywords: Cucumber Recipes, Cucumber Salad, Creamy Cucumber Salad
A few more recipes
Still want inspiration? Here are a few more recipes that star this crunchy refreshing vegetable:
- Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad This salad brings out the beauty of ripe tomatoes and cool cucumbers in a way you’ll want to eat again and again.
- Poke Bowl Recipe This classic recipe stars ahi tuna marinaded in a flavorful poke sauce, rice, and lots of veggie topping ideas.
- Simple Chickpea Salad Make cucumbers into a 5-minute fast lunch! The perfect healthy plant based desk lunch or quick fix dinner.
- Mediterranean Couscous Bowls This Mediterranean bowl recipe is a fast weeknight dinner, featuring couscous, chickpeas, tomatoes and cucumber, and a creamy tahini sauce.
- Favorite Chopped Salad This salad will amaze everyone around the table! Homemade Italian dressing and crisp veggies combine into one extraordinary salad.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.