Here are all the best cucumber recipes for using this refreshing vegetable! From salads to pickles, they’re so versatile…and delicious.
Could there be a more refreshing vegetable than the cool cucumber? This vegetable is full of water so it’s super hydrating and deliciously crunchy. It’s also a truly versatile vegetable to use in recipes! Pop it into salads, pickle it, or throw it into drinks to make fancy “spa water”.
Nothing says summer like cucumbers, but you can eat them any time of the year! Here we’ve collected our top cucumber recipes that can work for anytime, from tangy cucumber salad to creamy Greek cucumber dill sauce. Bonus: none of these recipes require “cooking”!
And now…our best cucumber recipes!
This cucumber salad with vinegar is perfect for barbecues and picnics, a refreshing mix of tangy and salty sliced cucumbers and onions.
- 2 large, thin cucumbers (English if possible)
- 1 small yellow or white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (optional)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Slice the cucumbers as thin as possible, using a mandolin if desired. Peel and thinly slice the onion into half moon shapes. Layer the cucumbers and onions in a large shallow bowl; add the dill (if using).
- In a small bowl, mix the white vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture over the cucumbers and onions, mixing everything together to ensure even coverage. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Stir again to evenly mix the dressing. Then serve with a slotted spoon. Store refrigerated for up to 7 days; the flavor even improves over time!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Cucumber Recipes, Cucumber Salad
A few more recipes
Still want inspiration? Here are a few more recipes that star this crunchy refreshing vegetable:
- Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad This salad brings out the beauty of ripe tomatoes and cool cucumbers in a way you’ll want to eat again and again.
- Poke Bowl Recipe This classic recipe stars ahi tuna marinaded in a flavorful poke sauce, rice, and lots of veggie topping ideas.
- Simple Chickpea Salad Make cucumbers into a 5-minute fast lunch! The perfect healthy plant based desk lunch or quick fix dinner.
- Mediterranean Couscous Bowls This Mediterranean bowl recipe is a fast weeknight dinner, featuring couscous, chickpeas, tomatoes and cucumber, and a creamy tahini sauce.
- Favorite Chopped Salad This salad will amaze everyone around the table! Homemade Italian dressing and crisp veggies combine into one extraordinary salad.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.