This creamy cucumber salad is perfect for barbecues and picnics, a refreshing mix of tangy and salty sliced cucumbers and a sour cream sauce.
- 2 medium shallots
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large English cucumbers (2 pounds), or peeled standard cucumbers
- Thinly slice the shallots. In a small container, stir together the sour cream, white vinegar, dried dill, grated garlic clove, kosher salt, and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice cucumbers and place them in a colander (if using standard cucumber, peel them first; English cucumbers don’t need to be peeled). Toss the slices with several larger pinches of kosher salt and rest 45 minutes. Remove them from the colander and pat them dry.
- When ready to serve, gently stir together the cucumbers and dressing (don’t stir too vigorously or it will cause bubbles). Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 2 hours; it gets watery if you refrigerate for too long with the sauce. If you’d like to prepare it in advance, refrigerate the components separately until serving.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Salad
Keywords: Cucumber Recipes, Cucumber Salad, Creamy Cucumber Salad