The best squash recipe? Roasted acorn squash! It’s roasted until tender and draped in a fall-scented stuffing of rice, pecans, and herbs.
- 1 cup white basmati rice*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 small acorn squash*
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (or substitute olive oil or coconut oil for vegan)
- 3/4 cup raw pecan pieces
- Feta or goat cheese crumbles, optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Cook the rice: Add rice and 2 cups water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the heat and allow to steam with the cover on for 5 minutes. Stir in the dried sage and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Roast the squash: Meanwhile, chop each of the acorn squash in half and then into quarters. (You can also leave it in halves if you prefer that look.) Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, place the squash on the sheet and drizzle with olive oil on the cut sides, then sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Turn cut side down on the sheet and roast until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep the veggies for the stuffing: Dice the onion and celery. Mince the garlic.
- Toast the pecans: In a dry skillet over low heat, toast the pecans for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Make the stuffing: Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and celery 5 to 7 minutes until tender and translucent. Add the garlic, thyme, and oregano, and saute for an additional 2 minutes until fragrant. When the rice is cooked, stir it into the skillet. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, the fresh ground black pepper, butter, and pecans.
- Serve: Spoon the stuffing over the squash quarters and serve immediately.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Squash
Keywords: Squash Recipes, Roasted Squash, Roasted Acorn Squash