Here are all the best sour cream recipes using this versatile ingredient! Make it homemade, or use it in salads, soups, dips…and even pancakes.
Sour cream is a velvety, rich thickened cream that’s completely versatile in the kitchen. No wonder it’s included so often in recipes! Use it in endless ways: in sauces, in dips, to thicken soups, and to dollop a good chili or potato. You can even use it to make pancakes: it’s tangy and fluffy, even better than buttermilk!
Here are all the best sour cream recipes for using up a container! And did you know you can make it homemade? You can make DIY sour cream at home with just 2 ingredients! Experience the magic of fermentation right in your own kitchen. Here’s how to do it, and then 9 more great uses for this silky, magical cream.
And now…the best sour cream recipes to try!
More ways to use sour cream
There are many more ways to use sour cream in recipes outside of these highlights! Here are a few more we’d recommend:
- Chili: Use it to dollop Best Vegan Chili, Vegetarian Chili, 3-Bean Healthy Chili, or Instant Pot Chili.
- Baked Potatoes: Try our Baked Sweet Potatoes or Mexican Sweet Potatoes
- Soup: Dollop soup recipes like Best Damn Lentil Soup or Tortilla Soup.
- Tacos: Add to Epic Fish Tacos or Crispy Avocado Tacos.
Here’s how to make sour cream at home! All you need is 2 ingredients and 24 hours to wait for the cream to thicken. It’s kitchen magic!
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place the ingredients in a covered container, and let them sit in a warm area for 24 hours. The lactic acid bacteria in the buttermilk ferments the cream, causing it to thicken.
- Uncover and stir. Place the mixture in the refrigerator; it stores for up to 2 weeks.
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Fermentation
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sour Cream Recipes, Sour Cream Recipe
Here are a few more resources related to making and using sour cream!
- Homemade Creme Fraiche You can make creme fraiche at home with just 2 ingredients! This rich French version of sour cream is perfect for creamy sauces and dolloping soups.
- Best Sour Cream Substitute Need a sub for this ingredient? Here are all the best foods to use in a pinch.
- Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe Bookmark this homemade whipped cream recipe: in just 5 minutes you’ve got sweetened whipped cream that tastes infinitely better than store bought stuff!
- Mexican Crema Recipe Mexican crema is a thickened cream for dolloping over tacos and soups! Creamy and slightly tangy, it’s easy to make at home!
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.