Peppermint schnapps is a clear spirit that tastes like liquid candy! Here’s more about it and the best drinks to use it in.
It’s clear, it’s aggressively strong, and it tastes like a liquid candy cane: it’s Peppermint Schnapps! This minty distilled spirit is popular in the US around the holidays, taken as shots or mixed in creamy, sweet cocktails. Is it worth adding to your collection? Yes, in our opinion! Here’s more about this tasty spirit and the best ways to mix it into drinks.
What is peppermint schnapps?
Peppermint schnapps is a distilled spirit made by adding peppermint flavoring to a clear grain spirit. It tastes like a liquid candy cane, with an astringent, almost mouthwash-like finish. Most sources believe the original version originated in Germany (in German the term Schnaps means a strong alcoholic beverage). It’s often drunk in the US in the winter, and features in many holiday drinks.
Peppermint schnapps is sold by many brands and varies in quality. A popular inexpensive brand is DeKupyer, but you can find a higher quality version of this spirit with Rumple Minze or Dr. McGillicuddy’s Mint Schnapps.
What does peppermint schnapps taste like?
Peppermint schnapps tastes like liquid peppermint candy, with an astringent bite on the finish. It’s aggressively strong, and tastes best when mixed into drinks (though it’s also popular as a shot). Contrast it to white Creme de Menthe, a mint liqueur that has a smoother, more refined flavor.
How much alcohol is in peppermint schnapps? Peppermint schnapps is sold in three different ABV levels: 15% ABV (30 proof), 30% ABV (60 proof), and 50% ABV (100 proof).
Are there any substitutes? White Creme de Menthe is the best substitute: it has a smoother mint flavor with a more mellow finish. Make sure not to use green Creme de Menthe as a substitute in cocktail recipes, since its color will affect the overall visual effect of the drink.
Why we like it
Peppermint schnapps isn’t refined, but we love it for its nostalgic minty flavor! It’s fun to mix into holiday drinks: it makes a killer Peppermint Martini or Peppermint Schnapps Hot Chocolate.
How much does it cost?
Compared to other liquors, peppermint schnapps is inexpensive. A 750 ml bottle costs about $10.
Best Peppermint Schnapps drinks
Use this minty distilled spirit in mixed drinks that are creamy and sweet, especially around the holidays! Here are some of the best peppermint schnapps drinks:
Here’s a delightful signature peppermint schnapps drink: try the Peppermint Martini! This cocktail is creamy and minty fresh, a delicious combination of peppermint schnapps and chocolate liqueur. In fact, you may want to drink this any time of year! Cozy up with one by the fire, or drink it as a fun holiday cocktail. With a flavor of liquid candy canes, this one’s a total crowd pleaser.
Ingredients: Peppermint schnapps. vodka, Creme de Cacao, heavy cream
Here’s a warm and cozy mug you won’t be able to stop sipping: the Peppermint Patty! This hot chocolate is spiked with not one but two liqueurs, adding both mint and chocolate flavors to the rich body of this drink. It’s stellar with homemade hot chocolate, but you can also make it with purchased hot cocoa mix. The amount of cozy flavor here is unreal.
Ingredients: Hot chocolate (homemade if possible), Creme de Cacao, peppermint schnapps
Looking for a stunning peppermint schnapps drink that’s sweet and creamy? Try the Peppermint White Russian! In fact, this spin on the classic might be even more fun than the original. It’s got a bright, minty finish that melds into the Kahlua and cream perfectly. It’s fast and easy to swirl together in a lowball glass.
Ingredients: Vodka, Kahlua, peppermint schnapps, heavy cream or milk
Need a stunning hot peppermint schnapps drink? Try Peppermint Schnapps Hot Chocolate! It’s rich and chocolaty, with just the right smoothness from the cool mint finish. Peppermint schnapps is a holiday tradition in our family, and it’s just right for adding to this creamy drink. Even better: ditch the pre-packaged mix for homemade hot chocolate you can make in 5 minutes on the stove.
Ingredients: Cocoa powder, 2% milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, chocolate, peppermint schnapps
Peppermint Schnapps Drinks: Martini & More!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
The Peppermint Schnapps Martini is creamy and minty fresh: the ideal winter cocktail! Step it up and rim the glass in peppermint candies.
- 1 ounce* peppermint schnapps
- ½ ounce vodka
- 1 ½ ounces Creme de Cacao
- 1 ½ ounces heavy cream
- Peppermint candies and grenadine, for the rim (optional)
- Prepare the rim: Crush the peppermint candies and place them in an even layer on a plate. On another plate, add a small pool of grenadine, or simply wet the rim of the glass with water using your finger (grenadine is easiest and works best). Run the rim of a martini glass in the grenadine first, rotating the glass so the rim is evenly coated. Then roll the rim in the crushed candies until evenly coated.
- Shake the drink: Place the peppermint schnapps, vodka, Creme de Cacao, and heavy cream in a cocktail shaker. Add a handful of ice and shake until cold. Strain the drink into the prepared martini glass.
*To convert to tablespoons, 1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Peppermint schnapps, Peppermint schnapps drinks
More cocktail guides
Need more liquor guides? We’ve got them! Here’s all you need to know about home bartending:
- Aperol Guide and Campari Guide All you need to know about these Italian liqueurs.
- Baileys Guide All the ins and outs of Irish Cream.
- Chartreuse Guide This pale green liqueur is worth adding to your collection…here’s why.
- Cointreau Guide, Blue Curacao Guide, or Orange Liqueur Guide Citrus liqueurs…broken down.
- Galliano Guide Is this bright yellow liqueur worth buying?
- Grenadine Guide It’s mistaken as cherry, but this bright syrup has a secret.
- Fernet Branca Guide Here’s why people love this Italian bitter.
- Kahlua Guide Learn about this popular Mexican coffee liqueur
- Peanut Butter Whiskey Guide All about the uniquely nutty Skrewball
- Pernod More about this anise-flavored liqueur
Let us know if you have any questions!