If you follow our blog, you know that we love to update classic recipes using naturally healthy ingredients. While we may not be able to label a favorite cocktail as a new health food, we can certainly make it more natural!
The whiskey sour was introduced to our family by my step-father, Joe. If I remember correctly, the introduction may have included a favorite Indianapolis restaurant, a picture of Marilyn Monroe, and a few choice words… but that’s another story. Over the years, the drink has become the standard beverage for family get-togethers, and on a few sad occasions we’ve been short on sour mix when it was needed most!
So today, for Joe’s 50th birthday, I’ve worked out a tasty all-natural alternative to store-bought sour mix using honey and fresh lemon juice (something we always have on hand!). Maybe in time for his 60th I’ll have mastered the all-natural maraschino cherry…
Happy Birthday Joe!
- 3 tablespoons whiskey (we’re cooks, not bartenders, so we’re using standard measurements here…)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water (more or less to taste)
- Juice the lemon. Mix the whiskey, lemon juice, honey, and water.
- Stir or shake until honey is dissolved. Serve over lots of ice. Adjust whiskey to taste.