Here are all the best easy asparagus recipes for cooking up this healthy green vegetable! Try it roasted, in risotto, and more.
Are you an asparagus fan? This healthy green vegetable is feared because of its bitter flavor, but when cooked correctly asparagus can be irresistibly tasty. Combine it with the fresh flavors of lemon and Parmesan, and it’s absolutely fantastic. It’s good for you (one of the best vegetables to eat), loaded with fiber and vitamins C, A and K. Pair with risotto or mac and cheese to add a boost of fiber to the meal! It’s seasonal in the spring and often eaten in that season, but is typically available throughout the year.
Asparagus is not just for side dishes: it’s great as the star ingredient of a main dish. Add it to pasta with lemon and Parmesan and you’ve got a tasty dinner recipe! Throw it into a frittata or alongside goat cheese scrambled eggs for brunch. And did we mention it is fantastic raw shaved into ribbons? Let’s get to the recipes.
And now: the best easy asparagus recipes!
Fun facts about asparagus!
Want to know more about this super veggie? Here are some fun facts that will make you want to make all the asparagus recipes!
- It’s a great source of fiber: 1 cup of cooked asparagus has 4 grams of fiber. (Source)
- It’s also high in protein for a green vegetable: 1 cup also has 4 grams protein. (Source) That’s a similar level to broccoli and potatoes.
- It can aid in eye and hair health, it has potential anti-aging properties and it’s promoted as an aphrodisiac! Who knew. (Source)
- Why does asparagus make your pee smell? It’s caused by sulfurous compounds in the vegetable. (Source) If you’ve never smelled it, well: it’s actually genetic.
- Want simple cooking methods? Here are the best ways to cook asparagus.
This baked asparagus is an easy side dish that’s a hit with everyone! The green stalks are roasted until tender, spritzed with lemon & topped with Parmesan.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon (Zest from half, plus slices from the other half)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (omit for vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut off the tough bottom ends of the asparagus. Add the asparagus stalks to a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil, and add the kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Add the zest of 1/2 lemon and mix with your hands. Thinly slice 4 lemon wheels from the lemon, then add them right on the tray. Sprinkle everything with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until tender when pierced by a fork at the thickest part. The timing will depend on the thickness of the asparagus spears (ours in the photo were done at 12 minutes). Serve immediately.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Asparagus Recipes, Asparagus Recipes
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.