We’ve been dying to try shaved asparagus this season, especially since it keeps popping up in some of our favorite places (Naturally Ella and The First Mess, for starters). The thought of eating raw asparagus seemed intriguing – though we were a bit wary about the taste being overly strong, as the cooked version sometimes can be. However, the first bit was reassuring – the taste is much more mild than we imagined!
Toss these shavings with the vinaigrette of your choice, and you’ve got a tasty side salad. We found that as it sat in the refrigerator for a few days, the flavors melded together well and got a bit stronger – it could almost be used as a relish.
This recipe is pretty flexible – you can follow the recipe below, or make it with your favorite vinaigrette! And make sure to hit up your local Farmer’s Market for some asparagus if it’s in season in your area.
Final note — I love that I have a husband who would spend all night trying to hone his handwriting for this shot :)Print
This recipe doesn’t make a large quantity once the spears have been shaved, so keep this in mind in your meal planning. You can make the vinaigrette in the recipe, or try a few of the alternates listed above.
- 16 large asparagus spears (about 1 pound)
- Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- Lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Make the shavings: Lay asparagus spears on a flat surface. With a vegetable peeler, shave each spear from the from the bottom up (discard the outer peel). (It takes a little practice, but is easy once you get the hang of it!) Remove the tips, if desired. Place the shavings in a bowl, and pat them dry to remove extra water.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a canning jar, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Shake vigorously to combine. (Alternatively, whisk these ingredients together in a bowl.)
- Toss the vinaigrette with the asparagus shavings. Toss with grated Parmesan cheese, and a few pinches of red pepper flakes. Taste, and add additional seasonings if desired.
Adapted from Bon Appetit