It’s already July, and we can’t believe it’s almost time for the July 4th holiday! The temperatures are at their height here in Indiana – the grass is dry and brown, and our garden is hanging on for dear life.
What better to do in the heat than sip on a cool drink? Alex was inspired by the upcoming Independence day to create a red and blue themed drink — complete with champagne for a little sparkle! It’s a play on a sangria (that delicious Spanish wine and fruit juice drink), but using blueberries and black cherries instead.
Related: All-Natural Frosé
Pour in a little champagne, and you’ve got a delicious and refreshing way to beat the heat!
Blueberries are currently available at many of the local farmer’s markets here in Indiana.Print
- 8 ounces black cherries
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 1/2 cup 100% cherry juice
- 1/4 cup honey (or a bit more, to taste)
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 bottle cheap Prosecco Cava champagne, or other sparkling wine
- Cut cherries in half and discard the seeds.
- In a pitcher, combine 1 bottle of white wine, 1/2 cup cherry juice, 1/4 cup honey, and the juice of 1 lemon. Stir to combine. Add the cherries and 1 cup blueberries. Place the pitcher in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours to let the flavors meld.
- When serving, fill each glass with one half of the wine mixture, some of the fruit, and top of with sparkling wine.
About the Authors
Cookbook Author and writer
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Cookbook Author and photographer
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.