Looking for black bean recipes? This easy black beans and rice is a classic Latin-style side dish, perfect with tacos or as a lunch idea.
- 3 cups cooked (1 cup dry) white long grain rice
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans or 3 cups cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (substitute olive oil for vegan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- Fresh cilantro, for a garnish
- Start the rice: use How to Cook Basmati Rice or Instant Pot White Rice.
- Mince the onion. Chop the pepper into a small dice. Mince the garlic.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Once melted, add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent and lightly browned. Add the beans, cumin, oregano, and kosher salt and stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes until warmed and fragrant, then stir in rice for 1 minute until heated through.
- Remove from the heat and add the lime juice. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Latin
Keywords: Black Beans Recipe, Black Beans and Rice