Stuck in a snack or breakfast rut? Try almond butter toast, topped with berries and a drizzle of maple syrup — even homemade almond butter if there’s time!
When I’m stuck in a rut with meals, it’s nice to have a little inspiration even if it’s just to make almond butter toast and top it with berries and a drizzle of honey. Or to mix ripe chopped tomatoes into spaghetti with fresh chopped basil. Or to make sandwiches with cucumber and dill. They’re those easy flavor combinations that are somehow easily forgotten. Keep reading for our recipe for almond butter toast: which includes our recipe for homemade almond butter!
How to make almond butter toast
Obviously, how to make almond butter toast is beyond elementary: slather almond butter on toast, right? Voila: almond butter toast! However, we’ve included this as a recipe on our website because sometimes it’s easy to forget the simplest of breakfast and snack ideas! This is a vegan breakfast idea that’s packed with protein. Paired with whole brain bread, it’s everything I crave in the morning: lots of plant based protein, and not too sweet. Basically, it’s my perfect snack!
Now, you can step up your almond butter toast in a few ways. First, make your own almond butter! It’s so, so delicious made at home. Here’s our master recipe for How to Make Almond Butter.
Second, you can make next-level almond butter toast by adding all sorts of fun ingredients for toppings! Here’s a list to get you started: but of course, anything goes!
- Sliced bananas
- Green apple slices
- A drizzle of honey, maple syrup, or agave syrup
- Cacao nibs or chocolate chips
- Chia seeds
- Shredded coconut (consider toasting on low heat it in a dry skillet)
- Bee pollen (we love the confetti look)
- Chia jams: cherry chai, rhubarb or cranberry
How to make homemade almond butter
How to make almond butter? It’s actually quite simple, once you get the hang of it. In this recipe, we decided to toast our almonds in the oven to bring out the flavor. We tried it both ways, but found that it was tastier with the almonds toasted. Also, they blend better when they’re warmed up! After you toast the almonds, you throw them into a food processor and blend them for what seems like forever. You’ll see that they go through stages: they’ll be really crumbly at first, and then turn to gooey. Finally, they’ll turn to creamy: the perfect almond butter texture! If you have a food processor, we recommend you give this recipe a try: it’s incredibly delicious and fun to make at home.
And that’s it!
Though it’s perfectly elementary, it’s still fun to remember the simplicity of a good almond butter toast! While it’s perfect for easy breakfasts and snacks at home, it would be a fun baby shower or brunch idea to have a fancy almond butter toast bar! Provide toppings for your guests and let them get creative.
On a more personal note, we’re headed off to Alaska for a summer vacation with my family. I’m especially excited to see my sister, who lives in Southeast Asia, since visits are few and far between when you’re halfway across the world. We’ll be spending most of our time in Juneau and the surrounding area. Let us know if you have any travel tips, and we’d love to know if we have any readers in that part of the country?
UPDATE: We loved Juneau Alaska! Read all about it here.
Looking for breakfast recipes?
Here are a few more breakfast recipes we love:
- The Best Cup of Coffee: Chemex, Aeropress, Cold Brew & Iced Coffee
- Apple Cinnamon Pressure Cooker Steel Cut Oats
- Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Best Fluffy Gluten Free Waffles
- Homemade Acai Bowl
- Chocolate Muesli Recipe
- Best Instant Oatmeal Recipe
- Apple Gluten Free Oatmeal Muffins
- Fluffy Scrambled Eggs with Goat Cheese
- Make Ahead Breakfast Recipes
This almond butter toast recipe is…
This almond butter toast recipe is vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, and dairy free.Print
- 1 slice whole grain artisan bread
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Almond Butter or purchased almond butter (we like our friend Rachel’s Revival Almond Butter)
- 6 strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon local honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Other optional toppings:
- If desired, make the almond butter using our Homemade Almond Butter recipe.
- Toast a thick slice of artisan bread.
- Hull and thinly slice the strawberries.
- When the toast is done, spread liberally with almond butter, drizzle with honey or maple syrup, and top with strawberry slices. Add additional toppings as necessary.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Toasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Almond butter toast, How to make almond butter, Fancy toast, Breakfast Ideas, Vegan Breakfast Ideas
About the Authors
Cookbook Author and writer
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Cookbook Author and photographer
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.