Here’s the very best in vegan comfort food: baked cauliflower wings! They’re crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and tossed with spicy buffalo sauce.
For the cauliflower wings
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika*
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups soda water (club soda)
For the buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup Frank’s red hot sauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets.
- Mix 1 cup of the flour with garlic powder, smoked paprika, cornstarch and kosher salt. Pour in the soda water and stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour to separate bowl.
- Place the parchment paper on two baking sheets and place two baking racks on top. Dredge each floret in flour and then dip it into the batter. Place each floret on top of the racks (the batter will drip below, which is ok).
- Once all the florets are covered, place the baking sheets with racks on top in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then rotate the sheets and bake for 10 more minutes until crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Place the ingredients for the buffalo sauce into a small saucepan. Heat over medium low heat and whisk until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- When the cauliflower wings are done, cool for a few minutes. Then slide a spatula under them or use your fingers to remove them from the baking racks — some of the breading will come off of the bottom, but that’s okay (you won’t notice when they’re coated in sauce). Then in a large bowl, pour the buffalo sauce over wings and turn gently with a spatula until they are fully covered.
*You can substitute standard paprika if you can’t find smoked, but it’s highly recommended for its lightly smoky flavor.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan Comfort Food, Vegan Wings