This vegetable & gnocchi Italian soup recipe is bursting with flavor and can be made in around 30 minutes, making it an easy weeknight meal.
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup chopped basil leaves, plus additional for serving if desired
- 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 28-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes*
- 15-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups frozen (or fresh) cut green beans
- 1 pound gnocchi (gluten-free if necessary; here’s our favorite)
- 4 to 6 cups spinach leaves
- Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)*
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic cloves. Chop the basil. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and basil for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, red pepper flakes, broth, both cans of tomatoes and their juices, kosher salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the green beans, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Break apart any clumps in the gnocchi, then add them to the pot and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach until wilted, about 1 minute.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowl and top with Parmesan and basil leaves if desired. Allow to cool slightly before diving in!
*Note: Use fire roasted tomatoes if at all possible; avoid “no salt added” varieties. With the fresh basil, the soup is very flavorful and doesn’t require the addition of cheese, but feel free to add if desired.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian Soup Recipes