It’s been two years since we moved into our new house, which is enough time to finally drop the “new”, right? Even so, it takes me quite a while to bond to new surroundings — to feel like this street is really mine, that each blade of grass and weed and every little nook and cranny of our place is truly ours. It’s taken a bit of time to get to know the neighbors, too. Since porch sitting isn’t so in these days, what with Pinterest and Hulu and Netflix and Youtube, it’s difficult to make neighborly connections. I’m the type who has every last minute scheduled, so I’ve found that taking time to create margin helps to increase the chance of meeting a friendly neighb or two, especially with this little lady in tow.
Turns out we have quite a few lovely neighbors, and a few weeks ago we had a couple over for drinks on the patio. In the midst of the conversation, an unhealthy obsession with ranch dip was confessed, which triggered my memory of this Greek yogurt ranch dip we made a few years ago. I recommended it hoping that it was still tasty — and luckily, it came back with positive reviews! We decided to try it out again as a healthy game day snack to eat with veggies, pretzels, or chips. It’s nearly as easy as mixing a ranch powder packet with sour cream (a tradition I grew up on), but healthier with the addition of Greek yogurt and the absence of any preservatives. And the taste — fresh and delicious, like a heightened version of the traditional processed stuff. We made it for a recent football game, and our guests couldn’t stay away. (OK, we couldn’t either.)
Why to make it: A wholesome, natural ranch dip that’s incredibly flavorful and nearly as quick to make as the processed version
When to make it: Anytime; it’s great for snacking
Caveats: If your tastebuds are tuned to processed ranch, it might take some getting used to — but not long!
More Healthy Game Day Recipes
Loaded Sweet Potato Rounds *our all-time favorite*
Buffalo Cauliflower with Blue Cheese Dip
Loaded Sweet Potato Skins with Pinto Beans
Honey Sesame Almonds
Spiced Crispy Chickpeas
Herb Butter Popcorn
- Interested in house renos? Here’s our kitchen, office, living room, and attic before + after photos.
- Check out our new website design! It’s got an new speedy Search feature, easier access to recipes, a new Healthy + Whole page, and a new gift shop.
- Follow us on Instagram for a behind-the-scenes look at A Couple Cooks — it’s the best place to see what we’re up to in real life, and stay up to date on what’s new.
- 1 large shallot (2 tablespoons minced)
- 18-ounce container 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Mince 1 shallot.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of the minced shallot and mix together with the remaining ingredients. Store refrigerated.