This coleslaw & Swiss cheese melt sandwich might be the best sandwich ever. Slathered with creamy Russian dressing, it’s over the top delicious.
OK, ready for an insanely delicious sandwich? Maybe our best sandwich ever? Or at least one of our best vegetarian recipes because everyone, we repeat, everyone who tries it loves it. According to Alex: it tastes like a healthy version of a Big Mac! What makes this coleslaw & Swiss melt sandwich so savory and delicious? Well, start with our best coleslaw ever. Add a melty cheese on top of a salty pretzel bun. What puts it over the edge is our secret sauce: Russian dressing, the star ingredient in a Reuben sandwich. Are you ready to get eating? Let’s go.
Related: 15 Easy Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
The inspiration: Swiss melt sandwich
Before we start, a bit more about where this coleslaw and Swiss cheese sandwich came from. Alex and I were in Ann Arbor, Michigan for a wedding this summer. And what we heard about Ann Arbor, Michigan was one thing. Well, a few things. But one main one was: Go to Zingerman’s. This top of the line deli has been around for years (since 1982, in fact) and people just rave about it. So of course Alex and I wanted to try it for ourselves. We tried to go during the day, but the line was literally out the door. (Another sign this place was legit).
So instead, we ordered takeout after the wedding! Imagine us in our hotel lobby, our wedding attire rumpled, eagerly awaiting our sandwiches from Zingerman’s. I got a sandwich just like this one (the #36, if you must know!), and my goodness, it was heaven on Earth. I LOVE Reuben sandwiches, and this one had the vibe of a Reuben using Swiss cheese and coleslaw instead. And of course, that addicting Russian dressing. Piled high atop delicious fresh rye bread, it was toasty and like biting into a little bit of heaven. So yes, Go to Zingerman’s.
Related: Easy Dinner Recipes for Busy Lives
How to make this Swiss melt sandwich
If you’re an astute observer, you may have heard of the Rachel sandwich. A Rachel sandwich is like a Reuben sandwich, but it uses turkey in place of corned beef and coleslaw in place of sauerkraut. So this coleslaw and Swiss melt sandwich is basically a vegetarian Rachel sandwich! Aka the best sandwich ever. Here are the components of this Swiss cheese sandwich that make it so delectable:
- Russian dressing. This sauce is seriously one of our favorite things ever. It’s so, so savory, with the right balance of tangy and sweet. (And tastes kind of like that Big Mac secret sauce.)
- Best coleslaw ever. To make this coleslaw sandwich, we created a new “best” coleslaw recipe too! Alex and I love creamy coleslaws, so the dressing uses less than the normal mayo with no refined sugar that tastes perfectly creamy and balanced. You can also use our Red Cabbage Slaw.
- Toasted pretzel bun. How can you not love the rich saltiness of a pretzel bun? It’s perfect for a satisfying vegetarian sandwich: but of course you can use bread instead.
- Swiss cheese. Here we’ve gone with the broiling method: simply broil that cheese right onto the pretzel bun. It’s easier than the standard grilled cheese stovetop method (though we’ve added that below in case you’d like to do it with rye bread).
It all comes together into one of our very best sandwich recipes. Though there are two mayo-based components in this one, you’ll use a small portion of both: a little goes a long way! And if you’re vegan, use vegan mayo and opt for a vegan cheese (there are starting to be some really great vegan cheese brands out there). Let us know if you try this one out: we’d love to know in the comments below!
Looking for vegetarian sandwich recipes?
Outside of this Swiss melt sandwich, here are some other vegetarian sandwiches we love:
- 10 Amazing Vegetarian Sandwiches
- Avocado Club Sandwich
- Jackfruit BBQ Sandwich
- Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Tomato & Grilled Eggplant Stacked Sandwich
- Ultimate Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich
- 5-Minute Pesto Arugula Breakfast Sandwich
- Vegan Banh Mi Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
- The Vegetarian Reuben
- The BEST Grilled Veggie Burger
This recipe is…
This coleslaw & Swiss cheese melt sandwich is vegetarian. For gluten-free, use gluten-free bread. For vegan, plant-based and dairy-free, opt for vegan mayo and a vegan cheese.Print
This coleslaw & Swiss melt sandwich might be the best sandwich ever. Slathered with creamy Russian dressing, it’s over the top delicious.
- Make the Best Coleslaw Recipe.
- Make the Easy Russian Dressing.
- Broiling instructions: Place the bottoms of the pretzel buns on a baking sheet and place a slice of Swiss cheese on top. Place the tops of the buns on the sheet as well. Broil for about 4 to 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the buns are toasted. Add the coleslaw and spread on the Russian dressing, then assemble the sandwich. OR
- Stovetop instructions (with bread): Spread butter on one side of each of the bread slices. Heat a griddle pan to medium high heat. Place 4 pieces of bread on the griddle, buttered side down. On each piece, add the cheese slices and coleslaw. Spread Russian dressing on the other side of the other 4 slices of bread and place them on top. When the bottom bread is browned, flip the sandwich and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Broiled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Coleslaw, Swiss Cheese, Melt Sandwich, Swiss Cheese Sandwich, Coleslaw Sandwich