Here are 5 quesadilla ideas, including these apple and gouda quesadillas! The savory and sweet combination is unconventionally delicious.
Fall has officially shown up here in Indiana! Our markets are already chock full of squashes, pumpkins, and apples. Alex and I are not quite ready to start up on the squash yet, especially since we know they will be in full force all winter long! However, we’re excited to ease into the cooler weather with some apples. Looking for quesadilla ideas? It’s a bit unconventional, but these apple and gouda quesadillas are delicious and a perfect simple lunch. Keep reading for the recipe and a few more quesadilla ideas.
Looking for quesadilla ideas? Here are a few of our favorite quesadilla ideas here on A Couple Cooks:
1. Loaded Veggie Quesadilla Recipe
This Loaded Veggie Quesadilla is full of sweet potato, black beans, spinach, cumin, and garlic, and features American Colby cheese. Put it over the top and make our Homemade Spinach Tortillas to up your veggie quotient even more! This quesadilla also works for packing in a healthy kids lunch.
2. Mushroom and Brie Quesadillas
These gooey mushroom and brie quesadillas are a super savory and delicious quesadilla ideas! Contrasted with a bit of fresh herbs and a drizzle of honey, it was a supremely satisfying lunch that’s also incredibly quick to whip up.
3. Avocado Black Bean Vegetarian Quesadilla
Avocado quesadillas? The green fruit makes these zesty quesadillas creamy without overloading on the cheese, making them both delicious and nutritious.
4. Greek Quesadillas
One of our favorite quesadillas ideas: Greek! This Mediterranean take on the quesadilla features feta cheese, red onion, black olives, spinach, and fresh oregano. It’s a slam dunk!
5. Apple and Gouda Quesadillas (below)
And finally, these apple and gouda quesadillas! These apple and gouda quesadillas feature that perfect savory and sweet combination: apples and cheese. Smoky, creamy gouda cheese contrasted against the sweet tartness of apple make for an unconventional pairing in this quesadilla. It was a fun way to enjoy a new variation on the standard quesadilla. Alex and I enjoyed it as a delicious fall lunch. Scroll down for the apple and gouda quesadillas recipe!
Looking for apple recipes?
Outside of these apple and gouda quesadillas, here are a few more apple recipes on A Couple Cooks:
- Apple Gluten Free Oatmeal Muffins
- Massaged Kale Salad with Pomegranate & Apple
- Granola Instant Pot Apple Crisp
- Apple Cinnamon Pressure Cooker Steel Cut Oats
- Apple Galette Recipe with Pomegranate
- Apple Cranberry Sage Bites
- Apple and Pear Salad with Curry Vinaigrette
- Cabbage and Apples
- Easy Homemade Apple Sauce
- Roasted Cauliflower with Apple and Dill
Apple and Gouda Quesadillas
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 quesadilla (multiply as desired) 1x
If you’re looking for quesadilla ideas, how about apple and gouda quesadillas? The savory and sweet combination is unconventionally delicious.
- ½ cup shredded smoked gouda cheese (or aged cheddar)
- ½ tart apple (we used Jonathon)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 tortillas
- Grate the cheese. Thinly slice the apple. Pull the thyme leaves off of the stem.
- On a plate, place a tortilla. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of the cheese, then lay the apple slices on top. Top with another ¼ cup cheese, the thyme leaves, and a pinch of kosher salt.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat for a few minutes. Place the loaded tortilla on the griddle and place another tortilla on top. Cook until browned on the bottom, then flip and cook until browned on the other side (a few minutes per side).
- Remove the tortilla and cut into wedges with a pizza cutter. If making several quesadillas at once, keep them warm in a 300°F oven.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple Quesadilla, Gouda Quesadilla, Quesadilla Ideas, Snack, Vegetarian, Healthy, Apple Recipes, Lunch
Apple + melted cheese is one of the best combos! I bet the crispiness of the tortilla adds a whole new level of deliciousness.
These sound lovely! And I LOVE the new site design!
I’ve always been really skeptical about the combination of apples and cheese, but I may just have to give it a try!
This is such a delicious combination of flavours; a perfect way to celebrate fall.
PS love the new site design!
Love apple and gouda together ~ must make these asap!
Sweet and savory!
I am currently living in France for a year and had a hard time finding tortillas (the grocery store was out of stock!), so we subbed in crepes instead! It was amazing and I highly recommend it.
The second time, I used gouda with cumin instead of plain gouda (I was feeling crazy at the market), and made it into a grilled cheese. It was the most incredible grilled cheese I’ve ever had.
The apple/gouda/thyme combination is so creative and delicious! Thank you for sharing :)
The cumin flavor sounds awesome; and crepes is a great idea. Glad you enjoyed it!
Thanks for the recipe, it was really good !