This quesadilla recipe comes out crispy on the outside with perfectly melty cheese! Here’s how to make this Tex Mex specialty.
- 2 6-inch flour tortillas (per 1 serving*)
- 1/4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Colby jack cheese**
- 2 tablespoons pico de gallo (aka fresh salsa)
- 2 pinches salt
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Other filling items: cooked chicken, cooked ground beef (or plant-based crumbles), black beans, canned corn, avocado, green onions, chopped cilantro, etc.
- To serve: sour cream, hot sauce, cilantro, avocado crema, lime crema, salsa, guacamole, chipotle sauce, etc.
- Place half the shredded cheese, pico de gallo, and 1 pinch salt in half of a tortilla, along with any other filling items (be careful not to overstuff). Fold it over to make a half circle. Repeat with the other tortilla.
- Heat a stainless steel or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil to lightly coat the pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side until browned and crisp, pressing gently with a spatula while cooking.
- Slice into 4 or 6 wedges and serve immediately with dipping sauces.
*Want to make 8 quesadillas at once? Try our Baked Quesadillas.
**Other cheese ideas: Oaxacan and Chihuahua cheese are most traditional for a Mexican quesadilla. Or, try Mexican blend cheese, or substituting the Colby jack with smoked mozzarella.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Quesadilla, cheese quesadilla, quesadilla recipe