This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
Craving bacon but want to eat plant based? Here are 3 delicious ways to make vegan bacon that are unbelievably smoky and delicious!
Craving bacon? Us too. Alex and I eat a mostly whole food plant based diet. So sometimes, we just need us some bacon. Now, we don’t eat 100% plant-based, so sometimes we just eat a little of the real thing. But if we’re looking to infuse bacon-y flavor into a vegetarian or vegan recipe, there’s an invention for that. It’s vegan bacon!
Vegan bacon can be made with lots of different ingredients. Alex and I have have three different methods that we like to use! Here’s an outline of the methods:
- Shiitake bacon using shiitake mushrooms! Great for adding flavor as a garnish.
- Coconut bacon using large unsweetened coconut flakes! Also good for adding flavor.
- Tempeh bacon using soy-based tempeh! This one has protein so it’s a more filling option.
Each method has different advantages and best uses. Alex and I actually use all three depending on what we’re making. Scroll down to read more about each one, then click “Get Recipe” to go to the recipe!
Vegan bacon: 3 ways to make it!
Ways to serve vegan bacon
There are lots of great ways to serve vegan bacon! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Salad. It’s perfect on main dish Vegetarian Cobb Salad, or maybe a BLT Chopped Salad?
- Pizza. Add it to our Cheese Pizza, Taco Pizza or Breakfast Pizza.
- Sandwiches. Try it on our Vegan BLT or Swiss Melt Sandwich.
- Veggie burgers. Wouldn’t vegan bacon be perfect on our Best Veggie Burger or Perfect Vegan Black Bean Burger.
- With a scramble. If you eat eggs try tempeh bacon with Fluffy Scrambled Eggs, or for vegan try our Easy Tofu Scramble.
- On soup. Vegan bacon crumbles are perfect on Easy Potato Soup or Vegan Corn Chowder.
Cravings for smoky and salty are satisfied in this vegan bacon recipe! Use this genius vegan mushroom bacon to top soups, salads, and more.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms. In a small bowl, stir together the oil, mushrooms, smoked paprika and cayenne.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook 3 minutes on medium until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in the soy sauce and sprinkle with the salt. Cook an additional 5 minutes on low without stirring, until bottom side is dry and slightly blackened.
- Category: Garnish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan Bacon, Mushroom Bacon
More resources for eating plant based
A few more plant based resources for fitting vegan recipes into your everyday:
- Plant Based Diet for Beginners Everything you need to know about eating plant based, with lots of recipes!
- How to Go Vegan: Guide & Recipes Here’s how to go vegan: a beginners guide and all the healthy recipes you need. Plant based eating can be affordable, filling and delicious!
- 28 Day Plant Based Diet Meal Plan All the recipes you need arranged into a monthly plan (with printable planner)!
- Whole Food Plant Based Diet: Guide & Recipes Focused on whole food ingredients, this guide gives lots of WFPB diet resources.
- Guide to Plant Based Protein Here’s how to get full eating plant based recipes!