Here are the best sloe gin cocktails to make with this fruity British liqueur! This unique ingredient makes mixed drinks shine.
Got a bottle of sloe gin and not sure what to do with it? Sloe gin is a British red liqueur, a signature liqueur that’s considered the limoncello of the UK. Sure, you can drink it neat: but it’s even more fun dressed up in mixed drinks! This liqueur adds a fruity, intriguing element to each sip that leaves you wanting more.
The most famous of all sloe gin cocktails is the Sloe Gin Fizz, a spin on the gin fizz that’s likely been around since the 1900’s. But there are lots of other ways to mix up sloe gin: from sophisticated to low brow.
And now…4 sloe gin cocktails worth trying!
More about sloe gin
Nope, it’s not actually gin! It’s just made with it. Here are a few things to know about sloe gin:
- Sloe gin is a British red liqueur that’s made with the sloe fruit and gin. Sloes are fruits that are similar to a plum, but the size of a berry. They grow wild in England, and the Brits have been making it for hundreds of years.
- What does sloe gin taste like? Sip a spoonful straight and it’s a little like cherry cough syrup. But add it a cocktail, and it adds a nuanced fruity flavor that’s completely unique.
- Make sure to grab “real: sloe gin, not artificially flavored. Low-quality bottles of sloe gin made with artificial flavors became popular in the US in the 1970’s and 80’s. These days, “real” sloe gin has come back into style and you can find it at your local liquor store or online.
The Sloe Gin Fizz is the most classic of all cocktails with this sweet and fruity red liqueur! This fizzy drink is sweet tart and frothy, and highlights the best of sloe gin.
- Place the sloe gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and egg white in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake for 30 seconds until cold.
- Strain the drink into a ice-filled highball glass and top with a splash of soda water; the egg white foam forms on top. If desired, garnish with a lemon wedge. Serve immediately.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Sloe Gin Cocktails
Outside of these sloe gin cocktails, there are so many great cocktail recipes! Try them all:
- Rum Cocktails Here are the best classic rum cocktails to make, with either white or dark rum!
- Mint Cocktails The best drinks with this fresh herb, from the Mojito to the Southside.
- Italian Cocktails Italy has gifted the world some of the greatest cocktails!
- Cognac Cocktails Here’s what to do with this high-end French brandy.
- Grand Marnier Cocktails This orange liqueur makes a killer fancy margarita or bubbly cocktail.
- Vodka Cocktails Try the greats like the Gimlet and Mule.
- Ginger Beer Cocktails Pick from Moscow mule spins, the Pimm’s Cup, and more.
- Sour Cocktails All the very best sours: Whiskey Sour, Sidecar, even the Margarita.
- Vermouth Cocktails All the best drinks using dry or sweet vermouth.