This mustard BBQ sauce might just be the easiest barbecue sauce you can make at home. Made with mustard, honey, and vinegar, it’s tangy and sweet all at once.
Ever made homemade BBQ sauce? After we realized how easy it is, it’s all Alex and I do anymore! After committing to cook as much as possible and make as many things from scratch as possible 10 years ago…somehow we’re still doing it! Homemade sauces somehow taste infinitely better than the best store bought: and this mustard BBQ sauce is no exception! It’s tangy, it’s a little sweet, and seriously savory. Keep reading for the recipe.
What is mustard BBQ sauce?
First off: what is mustard barbecue sauce? Mustard BBQ sauce is significantly different from the standard tomato-based barbecue sauce most people think of. Our homemade BBQ sauce is a classic barbecue sauce made with ketchup and a bunch of spices.
Mustard BBQ sauce is made with mustard, vinegar, honey, and spices. It’s also called Carolina-style BBQ sauce originated in South Carolina. This type of sauce is often served on the side, and traditionally serve with pork barbecue. However, Alex and I eat a mostly plant based diet and we’ve found it’s just as delicious on vegetarian and vegan recipes, too!
How to make a mustard BBQ sauce
This mustard based BBQ sauce is literally as easy as whisking together a few ingredients in a bowl. When we first made it, I was a little wary: how can this be as good as our best tomato-based BBQ sauce? But on first taste, I was sold. It’s so tangy, and just sweet enough. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Yellow mustard
- Tomato paste
- Soy sauce
- Hot sauce
Simply whisk them together in a bowl and you’re done! Just 5 minutes to a tasty homemade barbecue sauce from scratch. This sauce keeps for about 1 month refrigerated.
How to serve it?
You can use this mustard BBQ sauce in the same way that you’d use a tomato-based barbecue sauce! Here are a few ways that we recommend:
- Best Veggie Burger Recipe: Our best veggie burger is grilled and painted with barbecue sauce: it would be a perfect option for this type of sauce.
- Grilled Shrimp: Imagine this sauce painted on grilled shrimp: the sweet and tangy vibe would go so well!
- Jackfruit BBQ Sandwich: This vegan pulled pork is extremely tasty — you could try it with this mustard barbecue sauce too.
- Broiled Salmon or Baked Salmon: Use the method for broiling or baking salmon, but use the mustard BBQ sauce instead.
- Grilled Teriyaki Mango Skewers These skewers are painted with teriyaki sauce, but they’d also be fabulous painted with this BBQ sauce!
- BBQ Soy Curls: Soy curls are the latest greatest in whole food plant proteins! They have a texture a little like chicken and they’re so addicting. You’ve got to try these.
- BBQ Grilled Cauliflower Because grilled cauliflower goes over the top with a really good barbecue sauce.
Looking for more sauce recipes?
Here are a few of our other favorite homemade sauces made from scratch!
- Best Honey Mustard Sauce
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Vegan BBQ Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Spicy Chipotle Sauce
- Balsamic Reduction
- Dried Basil Pesto
- Hot Honey Recipe
- Cashew Cream Recipe
- Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- Basic Tomato Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Easy Marinara Sauce
- Easy Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce Recipe
- Best Tahini Sauce
- Romesco Sauce
This mustard BBQ sauce recipe is…
Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, plant-based, dairy-free, and refined sugar free.Print
This mustard BBQ sauce might just be the easiest BBQ sauce you can make at home. Made with mustard, honey, and vinegar, it’s tangy and sweet all at once.
- 3/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ingredients.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 1 month.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mustard BBQ sauce, Mustard barbecue sauce, Mustard based bbq sauce
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.